Vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pixelpixie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was on a nice easy dive, fresh water, suddenly my head was spinning. Wasn't all that deep, maybe 60' but nothing in sight, just open water. I'm guessing that was the problem- no frame of reference. I surfaced and went back down but while the worst part had passed, I was not feeling "right" and surfaced again. Anyone have suggestions as to how to avoid or deal with this so u can still enjoy the dive?

With no visual reference, the fluid that is getting sloshed around in the inner ear sends messages to your brain, and if the message your eyes are sending is different, you can get motion sickness, or a milder version, vertigo. Everyone has different susceptibilities

Any helpful hints to deal with it?

I've also heard that when ascending it can happen if one ear equalizes before the other. This has happened to me occasionally, which is odd since I have never had equalizing problems descending. Don't know of a cure. I sometimes just close my eyes for a couple of seconds and it goes away.

Any helpful hints to deal with it?

Sweetie, so sorry to hear this!! :hugs:

However, I pm'd your question to TSandM - she has that problem, too! Doesn't get seasick, but gets vertigo.

She's got all the poop on this. :)

Hello, my girlfriend has the same problem. When she ascents she gets vertigo. The last dive is was so bad that she almost became unconsious. We went to Bali to a doctor but he gave her some tables. He explained that sometimes the inner ear gets too less oxygen and this happends.
My girlfriend and i are gonna dive this week again, or better say we try. We try it first in our shop pool and then we will try it in the ocean. We let u know.

I dive in low viz situations regularly[1-2'] and am a pilot [use to teach IFR in the military where vertigo happens frequently when there are no outside references]...when this happens sometime it helps to look at [focus] on your compass as a reference for a few seconds....If you get use to trusting your instruments and away from relying on outside references[takes a little practice]it may help w/the vertigo/disorientation.....

Thx Jax- it was a GORGEOUS day- and the water was incredibly warm- 60 degrees at 77'! What a disappointment to have to scrap the second dive!

Good suggeston j2s- I'll try it (though I'm hoping not to have a recurrence)

If this occurred during an ascent, it may be alternobaric vertigo. This is where the two ears equalize at different rates, creating a pressure differential that causes different signals regarding orientation to come from the two different ears. Since there is no way to force equalization on ascent, the only thing you can do is cope with the results. Getting a visual reference is key, or holding onto something until the sensation resolves.

If this was not on ascent, but simply where you were without a visual reference, then I'm sorry. I have the same problem, and it is not easy to manage. What you need is orientation information, and your brain wants it visual, and you don't have that. My solutions are 1) acquire a visual reference. The best one is a stable buddy who doesn't have the problem. I can do ANYTHING with a solid buddy. Failing that, if you are ascending, shoot a bag. The line on the bag helps a lot. 2) Check your bubbles. I have learned that, when I am horizontal in the water, bubbles run up both sides of my face equally. If they are running up one side but not the other, I am on my side; if they are running up the front of me, I am head-down. I dive a dry suit, so I can also use my feet for reference. If they are ballooning, I am head-down; if they are squeezed, I am head-up. 3) As much as conceivably possible, avoid rapid or large head movements when deprived of a visual reference. Apparently they teach this to instrument pilots, to avoid vertigo; it was a pilot who passed this tip on to me. I tell my buddies I CANNOT look for them in midwater. They have to stay where I can see them, or they are on their own. 4) Trust your gauges. For a long time, I simply had to tell myself, "It doesn't MATTER if you are doing somersaults, so long as you are doing them at 20 feet." Depth control is the most important thing -- you can whirl all you want if you don't lose buoyancy control while you are doing it. It isn't fun, but it isn't dangerous, whereas going feet first to the surface IS. And I have done it too many times. 5) Watch the particles in the water. Even in pretty clear water, there are some. They tend, in the absence of significant up or down currents, to stay where they are, so you can watch them and orient yourself and know whether you are moving up or down in the water column. 6) Keep your breathing under control. When you are spinning, it is very tempting to begin to pant out of stress. This will mess up buoyancy control. Keep your breathing steady and even.

I still get vertigo, but it isn't as bad as it once was. Now, I'm okay in blue water; it's when the things on which I am orienting myself visually begin to do unexpected things that I have problems. On our recent Red Sea trip, I was doing deco up a line, but the line was not only bouncing up and down, but being dragged violently sideways as the ship to which it was tied was moved by the waves. I had the dickens of a time staying oriented, and I was acutely uncomfortable through much of the ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom