Anyone have recent experience with Air Pacific Baggage Policy out of LAX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eau_Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going back to the Solomon Islands in a month. I'll be flying LAX- Fiji - Honiara.

The last trip was before Air Pacific cut their baggage allowance. I know how to buy the excess baggage 'dive pack' before the trip for my second checked bag.

However, the carry on allowance is 1 bag of 7kg/15lb. Anyone know how strictly they enforce that? Can you bring a handbag as well? Am I going to have to resort to wearing those pouches (that I wore as a backpacker) under my clothes?:shocked2:

I flew them in August but started in Washington. I was not challenged at all about my carryon bags on the way out and I definitely pushed my luck. I had a Pelican 1520 with my camera gear in it and then bought a purse that would I could put my laptop in along with books, etc. It looked like a purse and not a briefcase. I was asked in Fiji if my carryons were a less than a particular weight and said yes. I was not asked to put them on the scale.

We have flown on Air Pacific many times. We've never had our carryons challenged when leaving LA but have on occasion had them challenged (and once weighed) when leaving Nadi. For our returns from Nadi, we try to check heavy things (books, batteries, etc) and carry on lighter items. Also, when going through security, we do our best to make our bags look light (e.g. not over-flowing with stuff, and light/easy to carry).

We've also occasionally upgraded to business class on the return - and had a counter agent write on our boarding pass that the extra carry-on luggage was OK.

It's not well publicized, but for about $600 extra you can upgrade to three seats in the upper deck of the 747-400. I don't know if they would also approve additional carry-on luggage for that upgrade.

Hope this helps -

Cindy

Thanks for the responses! I've bought the dive pack so have an extra checked bag on all flights round trip. I'm going to keep my carry-on backpack to 7kg but I'm just hoping I can get through with a 'personal item' as well! I had a problem in Fiji before when I was flying to Honiara. It wasn't Air Pacific but the security guard at the entrance to the security line that caused me problems. I got through in the end!

Back
Top Bottom