Cover for Rubber to Metal Connection on Reg Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure there is a name for these but I just don't know it.

My buddy and I have almost identical sets of gear bought at different shops. His reg hoses have sleeves that cover the rubber to metal connection of the reg hoses next to the 1st stage. Mine don't.

What are these called and should I get them? I have about 25 dives on my gear right now.

Thanks!!!

"hose protector" - no need

I agree with J. I believe they are called hose protectors but, when I get a reg with them on I advise cutting them off. They are supposed to relieve the strain between the rubber and metal on
the hose. They MAY do that, but they create a bigger problem in that they keep whatever water you are diving in between the protector and hose corroding and eventually destroying the
fitting. You could pull them down off of this junction every time you dive and give this area a good rinse and let air dry but I don't think anyone would do this every time they dove. I would also think that repeating this over and over would loosen them to the point that they would't stay in place anyway.

I think that their primary purpose is to keep the hose from bending at a sharp angle at the joint. Over time the hose could weaken in this area thus prematurely necessitating it's replacement. I leave them in place since I replace my regs on a yearly basis.

I removed mine, to facilitate rinsing/drying and because they tended to shift around anyway.

I do still believe in strain relief being a good thing, but I am simply mindful not to put my regs/hoses in a position that will try to bend them sharply at the junction of the hose/fitting (thus causing said strain). i.e. no unfair leads in my setup while diving, I secure second stages and SPG while boating out to the site, and I store them in container that allows large loops with no tight bends.

A few windings of electrical tape do the same strain relief job and water isn't as likely to get under the tape.

They're called hose protectors. They're purpose is to prevent the hose from kinking or undergoing heavy strain/bending right near the coupling of the first stage. They succeed in doing this however there is a trade off.

In order to provide a proper rinse you need to pull them back on the hose to rinse the coupling and to rinse the salt out of the hose protector itself. Some hose protectors are so tightly wound that pulling them along the hose actually strains the hose itself.
If you don't pull the hose protector back you have a heavy risk of salt deposit buildup which ruins your gear as well.

IMO it is easier to prevent hose strain and kinking by loosely winding your reg when you store it in your reg bag and also by buying the right length of hoses for your gear configuration. For a standard recreational set up, the latter is usually provided already when you buy your reg.

As a note, some hose protectors have marking or plastic removable rings that are used to mark your free parts for annual service warranty.
Sherwood is a prime example. If you throw away your hose protector, you throw away your free parts warranty.
You do not have to keep the hose protector on your reg though to get the free parts, the repair tech just needs the rings.

some hose protectors has holes throughout its length to facilitate flow of water through it. Plus, how are you going to tuck in the ends of the braided flex cable wraps?

I bought my reg used 6+ years ago and have logged 258 dives. I pull all the protectors down and rinse inside them thoroughly after each dive. No problems yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom