Piston vs Diaphragm re: standardization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At least one particular training agency advocates the use of piston regulators for stage bottles because they're apparently more robust if they're flooded. However, I'm attracted to the idea of keeping all my regulators the same for ease of servicing, and I'm currently running diaphragm regs for my backgas. Is the diaphragm/piston split still considered common wisdom, or is outdated?

I tend to dive cold to very-cold water (5-12C/40-55F), if that makes a difference.

At least one particular training agency advocates the use of piston regulators for stage bottles because they're apparently more robust if they're flooded. However, I'm attracted to the idea of keeping all my regulators the same for ease of servicing, and I'm currently running diaphragm regs for my backgas. Is the diaphragm/piston split still considered common wisdom, or is outdated?

I tend to dive cold to very-cold water (5-12C/40-55F), if that makes a difference.

Keep positive pressure in the lines and flooding will not be a problem.

Diaphragm / piston split on twins is not necessary with modern 1st stages, because of how reliable they have all become. The water temp you dive in would make diaphragm 1st stages a more logical choice.

I would say stick with diaphragm on your stages as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom