Switching from AL80 to AL100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Cancun and last time I did a Warm water dive I had an 80cf which I recorded my weight as 12 pounds. Approx how many pounds should I drop for the 100cf? I did the math and it sounds like 1 pounds??? Is my math off?

I dive steel tanks at home and I love them. I wish there are more places in Cancun with Steel tanks.

I'm going to Cancun and last time I did a Warm water dive I had an 80cf which I recorded my weight as 12 pounds. Approx how many pounds should I drop for the 100cf? I did the math and it sounds like 1 pounds??? Is my math off?

I dive steel tanks at home and I love them. I wish there are more places in Cancun with Steel tanks.

That depends on whether it's a Catalina or Luxfer AL100. The Catalina is pretty much neutral when empty while the Luxfer is pretty much like an AL80 at 3 or so lbs. of buoyancy.

This may provide some help there: Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

Going from an 80 to a 100 i tend to add 4 pounds of lead. So i wear 12 pounds with an 80 and 16 pounds with a 100.

The reason i add lead is because even though you are alot heavier at the start, by the end of the dive the cylinder is very buoyant so i need the extra weight to keep me down towards the end of the dive. I generally calculate there is about a 6 pound swing going from full to 3 quarters empty on a 100, this means if i weight myself to be neutral at the start of the dive i will be 6 pounds light at the end of it!

I generally add 2-3 pounds for the AL100's I use in Cozumel. I couldn't tell you which brand they are - they are worn a bit and honestly I have not checked. As said, they are heavier at the beginning of a dive and and more bouyant at the end. At the end of the dive I usually have no or very little air in my BCD the last 10 to 15 feet including safety stop. If I go higher than 10 feet there is a chance I can hit the surface so I have to watch my depth. If you are concerned about that then go a bit heavier.

The weight also depends on what I have with me like a camera which is worth 1-2 pounds (negative). Also note on warm water dives, I am not wearing wetsuit or may have a 3mm full sleeve jacket so I have to adjust for that at shallower depths - it's still new. So with the jacket I want enough weight to get past the initial descent and not have to fight to stay down on the final ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom