Which diveplanner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I have been looking for a free diveplanner for my laptop. Found a few, but I don't wanna download and try them all. Which one is worth downloading? Any suggestions?

I want to use it to see how different mixes (air, nitrox and trimix) influence decompression times.

v-planner is great, but the free version won't allow you plan multiple dives or mixes over 50%.

DiveNav's stuff looks promising as it is being rolled out. Would be for a fee based platform/edition based on what you are looking for in features. Not quite ready for prime time yet though.....

I have Vr dive planner, dive rites dive planning software, and v-planner. They are all good and each has a different algorithms. I use to to understand how things work and get a good idea about what is going on with gas planning, management, turn pressure, and limits.

There are several free iPhone/iPod apps. iDeco works well.

For Buhlman algorythm, I use MV planner (also incorporated in JDivelog) mainly because it provides me with similar data that I get from my Shearwater Predator dive computer (NDL and deco obligation if doing Deco).

The dive computer I use for rec diving is a Suunto Vyper. Therefore, I use the Duunto Dive manager which also incorporates a Dive planner.

My recommendation would be to use a software that will match the data of your dive computer

The least expensive is the RDP and the (do you remember it?) the wheel. I know that technology is important, and in some ways makes our life simpler, even more precise. But I think a good skill to retain is to be able to use a simple RDP to calculate multilevel dives and repetitivie dives. If you were certified as an advanced diver before 2006, maybe a little later, you should have "the wheel," a very cool little tool that let's you be much more precise in planning than the RDP does. So enjoy having an electric box do your dive planning, but think about retaining the ability to do your own planning if the computer falls in the camera bucket.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom