Predator: SA or Fischer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delta-v

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new Predator since I'm diving trimix more and more regularly, but need advice on whether to go with the SA... or fork over an extra $500 for the Fischer port.

I will certainly be moving on to a CCR in the near future, but I don't know whether I can integrate the Fischer port in parallel with the CCR's own computer?

If not, then why buy a unit with FP??? As far as I know, I can't buy a new CCR without its own computer... can I?

The only other reason I can think of is: To replace the CCR's computer if that ever has to go in for repairs etc.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Sam

If you haven't already, sign up over in RBW - You can get a lot of different views there.

It will also depend on what type of CCR you end up getting. You may not have any on-board electronics, and want to use the SW as your primary PO2 display, for example.

All but 2 of my CCR buddies have SW's and they all have at least 1 wired in. (The other two use there -other brand computers - for back-up deco info only.)

Personally, I have 2 Sw's aand have them both wired into the sensors, as well as a HUD. (All isolated from each other, in case of short/flood/etc)

If you already know what CCR(s) you are looking at, it may help with the choice. Otherwise, the Fischer ones do seem to hold there value at least as well, and are more flexible in case you change your mind in the future.

Hope that helps :)

If you now already that you are going to go ccr in the future I would pony up for the fischer. You can always use the fischer as a stand alone, but then you also have the option to wire it in. Tony and I each run 2 predators, 1 hardwired 1 fischer. Plus a SW HUD. We carry a spare fischer cable in our spares kit for field repairs. This gives us lots of options and decreases the chance of missing a dive should one of the electronics fail. This fischer is also going to be worth more on the resale end.

The handset on many rebreathers is not a deco computer, just a PO2 display (the meg for example). Yes you can install a Shearwater alongside the factory electronics in most. Also many rebreather that do come with deco computers use factory installed Shearwaters but those will be hard wired in and not useable for any application outside the rebreather (although once you go RB you never go back :wink: )

Everyone, thank you for all the helpful advice and tips. All three of you have recommended the FP and I guess that settles it.

The dentist will have to wait ; )

Again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom