Weighting change from AL80 to HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've always dived an AL 80 and I'm about to rent a steel HP 100 to take on a short liveaboard to try to better match my buddy's air consumption.

I wear 36 lbs (curvy, buoyant, novice diver girl in a dry suit) with an AL 80.

Anyone know a ball park figure to start at with the HP 100?

Thanks!

Depends on the specifics of the cylinders, but in many cases, you'd be looking at a 6# difference. Most AL80s are +4 empty, and most 3442psi HP100s are -2# empty.

Your best bet is to look up the specific buoyancy characteristics of the particular cylinders you are/will be using.

Dropping 5# works the best for me.

Depends on what other gear you have also, if possible when done with dive, or check with 500 psi by dropping weight and see how you do in 15' of water. Are you wearing ankle weights and is that part of the 36#.

Myself I dropped 10 lbs from an al80 to hp100

It doesn't seem to match the charts, but after trial and error that is what works the best in my situation. That is me wearing a 7mm farmerjohn, and also a curvy girl :)

Kryssa,

If you cannot find the exact characteristics of the tanks I'd go with TeamCasa's recommendation. Dropping 5 lbs is safe. You might be 1 lb heavy but better 1 lb heavy they 1 lb light at a safety stop.

I dropped 8 going from a AL80 to a HP100 with my drysuit. Curvy guy.

This is not Rocket science. If you dropped more than 6lbs than your tanks were not standard weight, or you were overweight to begin with. If one is diving a standard AL80 and a PST HP100 the difference is 4.4 vs -1.3 or 5.7lbs difference. See the excellent reference above. Anything else you drop is you being overweight which is entirely possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom