Equipment for a Tech Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to take a Tech Course, mostly just making deep open water dives (non pentetration dives to 132+). I have very good scuba equipment for single tank diving. I assumed a set of doubles would be needed but the instructor said doubles are out they don't use doubles but side mount systems only. The shop requires I take a side mount course ($400+) and a DECO dive course ($?) prior to the tech course itself. I dont know any tech divers so I wanted to know if the side mount only requirement is customary or is it the shop trying make more sales.

Doug

sounds like the instructor dives side mount not back mounted doubles, if you would like to learn in back mount then I would find another shop or another instructor.

I want to take a Tech Course, mostly just making deep open water dives (non pentetration dives to 132+). I have very good scuba equipment for single tank diving. I assumed a set of doubles would be needed but the instructor said doubles are out they don't use doubles but side mount systems only. The shop requires I take a side mount course ($400+) and a DECO dive course ($?) prior to the tech course itself. I dont know any tech divers so I wanted to know if the side mount only requirement is customary or is it the shop trying make more sales.

Doug

I would expect Decompression to be covered as a part of the whatever tech course curriculum I was signing up for. :idk: And it has been, in the two agencies with whom I've done tech training, and the other agency with whom I plan on pursuing tech training. This sounds a little hokey to me.

Do your research, and move along. A hard, rigid sell is an indication that you need to look at all the options not just the one on the table.
Eric

Agree with everyone else. Find another shop with a less rigid instructor. Nothing wrong with sidemount at all. But for what your interests are I'd at least like to have the choice between them and back mount. And if your profile is correct with the number of dives you have I'd think you know what you want and not be easily talked into dive shop BS.

The shop requires I take a side mount course ($400+) and a DECO dive course ($?) prior to the tech course itself

As someone else said - makes you wonder what the "tech course" actually covers, if you need to do twin cylinder & decompression courses as prerequisites

sounds like he is trying to make you spend 400$ for nothing. In my opinion back mount doubles is a great config for deep open water.

Agree with the rest, unless you want to dive SM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom