Build a BPW vs Zeagle Express Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a brand new diver, like simplicity, and am looking for a BC system.

I've narrowed it down to one of the following two options:

Build a BPW - probably by calling Deep Sea Supply
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe

I'm leaning towards the BPW because I think it can more easily grow with me as I gain experience. I know I'm going to eventually want to dive wrecks, go deeper, maybe do night dives, not sure about caves, but I'm going to do more than just look at pretty fish.

My other choice is the Zeagle Express Tech because I THINK I could use most of the parts of it as I grow - is that true? If I can disassemble the Zeagle and put a steel backplate on it in the future, put doubles on it, etc, then maybe this is my best starter BC because it's a complete out of the box system.

Any insights that might help me make up my mind which way to go would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You won't be disappointed with a DSS set up. I bought one of the SS back plates with a single tank wing and am really happy with it. Tobin (coolhardware52) is a good guy to deal with and is really helpful.

No idea on the other BC sorry.

The DSS is a pretty complete out-of-the-box system.

If you go for doubles in the future, with the ZET you'll need a new plate, a new bladder and a new set of webbing/harness, while with a DSS BP/W, all you need is a new bladder as far as the BCD is concerned.

And if you go with the Express Tech don't junk it up with the deluxe crap. I dive an Express tech and have for three seasons now. The padding, "deluxe harness", weight system, etc are not necessary and just raise the price up with no real added benefit. Especially if you like minimalist.

Go with the ET for now, you can use it as a travel/single tank BC later, you will end up owning one (travel/singles BP) anyway. If you expand your diving to include a need for different equipment, you will end up buying 2 or 3 more BP/wings. Owning 1 BP and rearranging it for different dives needs is one of those half truths that BP/wing devotees like to put out but don't actually follow...at least for long. Sure you can do it but it's such a pain to do and since the wing is most of the cost of a change anyway, no one swaps them around, they buy another complete set.

As for the ET, I agree with Jim, go with the standard one, add a couple of D rings and dive.

Thanks guys. That's two people for the ZET and two for the DSS BPW. I guess I'll flip a coin. :wink:
Has anyone had any trouble with the plastic tank buckles on the ZET? If so, that's the only tie breaker I can come up with at the moment.

Another vote for DSS. My Zeagle BCD now just sits in a cabinet and my DSS goes diving all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. That's two people for the ZET and two for the DSS BPW. I guess I'll flip a coin. :wink:
Has anyone had any trouble with the plastic tank buckles on the ZET? If so, that's the only tie breaker I can come up with at the moment.

No problems with it and since one of the reasons I have the ET is for travel, I see no reason to replace it, it works. If you really don't like it, it's just a weight belt buckle, replace it.

Don't forget to factor in cost also. The ET is pretty much complete except for a couple of D rings and a crotch strap.

How about buoyancy differences and the need for weights?

I suspect the ET is neutrally buoyant, which means I might need some weight. But Jim L suggested not buying the "deluxe crap" - just going with the basic rig. Does that mean no weight system either?

On the other hand, a BPW can be purposely made to be slightly negatively buoyant thus reducing or maybe eliminating the need for additional weights.

Is it OK to purposely create a rig that eliminates your need for any additional weight? I'm asking from the perspective of -- if you get in a bad situation where someone might want to dump their weights, but you don't have any weights to dump is that a bad thing? (Maybe this belongs in it's own thread).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom