Bouyancy Issues: Finally Solved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I always thought bouyancy control had ALOT to do with inflating and deflating my BC to just the right amount, letting some air out as I got to shallower depths and all that. For the last 50 dives since I got certified I was always practicing controlling my bouyancy in that way and fussing with my inflator/deflator all the time when in fact the whole time, I was just simply over weighted! (which caused me to go up and down a lot)

Wow, what a difference that made... I never fuss with my BC anymore, only at the surface, the rest of the time I am cruising neutrally in mid water effortlessly. I've gone from 8lbs in warm water to 2lbs, and 28lbs. in coldwater (7mm) to 20lbs. I also noticed this has made me swim more streamlined and almost completely horizontal rather than at a slight angle.

I was always worried about not being able to go down and having to go back and get more weights, so I always added a little more to be sure... One day, I decided to test my bouyancy the way I learned in OW class (eye level at the surface when BC fully DEflated) and for that whole dive I noticed I never needed to adjust my BC and was neutral throughout the whole dive. So my advice to anyone having a little bouyancy issues, just properly weight yourself! It makes a world of difference.

It is nice to see that someone remembers their training and uses it their full advantage!!!

Way to persevere and 'hang' in there!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom