Pipin Ferreras - Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaK-Dawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Pipin Ferreras freediving segment on HBO real sports? In summary, he's a record holding no limits Freediver who's wife died a year ago attempting to break his old record by descending to 561 ft. She rode a weighted sled to the bottom and then turned on a tank to inflate a lift bag to rocket her back to the surface. Problem was, the tank was empty. A safety diver tried to infate the liftbag with his reg, but the whole process took to long. By the time she got to the surface, 9 minutes had past... Apparently it was Pipins responsibility to ensure the tank was filled, but he didn't do it. Rumor is that director James Cameron will be making a movie about the whole thing...

I think you have a few of your facts mixed up there. Not sure if that is what HBO reported but you might want to read about it from a more reliable source.

Nick

Back in May there was a lengthy written article on it in one of the sports magazines. Sports Illustrated?? Dont remember exactly which.

Wow, the report on from HBOs realsports was a lot different. Its seemed very one sided and basically put the blame on Pipin for the accident. Thanks for the info.

ScubaK-Dawg once bubbled...
Wow, the report on from HBOs realsports was a lot different. Its seemed very one sided and basically put the blame on Pipin for the accident. Thanks for the info.

Really bitter tragedy.

My fiance' observed that there is no excuse for a freediver or scuba diver to rely on anyone else. And we together now each observe the old Navy rule about scuba gear: nobody touches my tanks besides me. But we still both agree that Pipin was responsible although Audrey's mistake was trusting him.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
My fiance'[sic] observed that there is no excuse for a freediver or scuba diver to rely on anyone else. And we together now each observe the old Navy rule about scuba gear: nobody touches my tanks besides me. But we still both agree that Pipin was responsible although Audrey's mistake was trusting him.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Are you suggesting that the empty tank was solely responsible for Mestre's death? I'm glad you've come to our own conclusions, Karl, especially since the contradict those of people who are in a position to properly evaluate things.

I think it is very clear from reading Kim McCoy's report that blame can not be placed on any one individual or event. When reading it there are many things that don't seem right, but I don't believe you can say any one particular event was responsible for her death. It was a very sad chain of events that could been broken in several places.

hey cornfed she died for the simple reason that her tank wasnt filled. point blank thats what it was. its her fault she passed, may she of course rest in peace.

911_abuser once bubbled...
hey cornfed she died for the simple reason that her tank wasnt filled. point blank thats what it was. its her fault she passed, may she of course rest in peace.

literacy not your strong point then? It does not say that at all

911_abuser once bubbled...

From the IAFD's official report:

"It is possible that the compressed air bottle used for lift bag inflation was not fully filled, but this factor alone would not have been responsible for all the difficulties encountered. It is clear that there was some air in the compressed air bottle.... In summary, no single reason can be determined for the tragic death of Audrey Mestre."

Back
Top Bottom