Just got a pony bottle shipped to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XxMerlinxX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
And the guy who shipped it did so with about 2200psi in it. Should I mention to him that that may not be the best thing to do, and to avoid it in the future, or do I just let it go?

If it was shipped ground no problem. If air that could have been a problem but unlikely.

If what is done is over than whats the point in causing problems. Best case nothing happens. Worst case they impound your stuff and fire some poor joe who does not know what a pony is.

If it was shipped ground no problem. If air that could have been a problem but unlikely.

That's not right. A compressed air cylinder filled with more than 40.6psi is considered a hazmat, specifically Class 2.2 Non Flammable Gas whether it goes by air or ground.

If what is done is over than whats the point in causing problems. Best case nothing happens. Worst case they impound your stuff and fire some poor joe who does not know what a pony is.

All it would take is for the knob on the valve to get bumped open, the air starts hissing out and the package gets isolated as an undeclared hazmat until the type of leak is determined. DOT is not known for their leniency when it comes to handing out fines for hazmats.

Forget it.

That's not right. A compressed air cylinder filled with more than 40.6psi is considered a hazmat, specifically Class 2.2 Non Flammable Gas

So your one of those that like to run around screaming the sky is falling? I would suggest not diving as scuba tanks are CONSIDERED hazmat which of course has nothing to do with reality.

So your one of those that like to run around screaming the sky is falling? I would suggest not diving as scuba tanks are CONSIDERED hazmat which of course has nothing to do with reality.

No, I'm one of those people trained in the handling of hazardous materials to ensure they comply with DOT and IATA regulations. This has nothing to do with reality until your package gets impounded as an undeclared hazmat and you are fined several thousand dollars by the DOT. It happens.

Many everyday items, such as paint, are considered hazmats once you put them in a box and slap a shipping label on it. Next time don't post erroneous information in a public forum that could result in a person unknowingly violating federal regulations.

I looked into shipping an old Dacor tank from Fla to me in Ohio. The UPS store said it had to be completely empty to ship.

In India they pull the valve off before shipping.... in principle. Although I have had cylinders shipped with valve, but no pressure.

Although if you look at how LPG cylinders are transported in India you may well wonder about the enforcement of these laws.

Just because something is law doesn't make it logical. It's similar to the shops that will not fill ANY tank over20 year old. In the case of DOT it's if it designed to hold compressed gas it has to be empty, doesn't make any difference if it is the air we breath or nerve gas.

Back
Top Bottom