Oceanic BUD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do people on this forum think about the Oceanic BUD? Is it a necessity? suggested? just something else the scuba industry wants to make a piece of standard equipment to make more money?

Kinda has that feel to it. Why not just buy a backup of the computer that you prefer? There may be a point that I'm missing.

Seems like just another computer packaged as some new/must have gizmo

At the retail and even the online price you could buy a wrist mounted computer that will do just the same.
What type of attachment would you have? What size of a computer are you looking for?
Depending on the answers you may be inclined to spend the money on this computer.

It seems to me that this product however is solving a problem that wasn't ever really there. But hey, some divers just need a title slapped on before they'll use a product in such a way.

I have one. It is a backup. It clips quite nicely to a d ring, out of the way unless I need it. It runs the same algorithm as my main computer. It is a less expensive alternative and suits my wants just fine. It is a simple 1 button computer that displays everything I would need if my other computer has a problem. I have a SPG that can be used if my AI computer has a problem. I also have a watch with a depth gauge and timer on it, I can use the tables if I need to.

I get a chance to dive 1-3 times a year while on vacation. I spend a lot of money getting to the destination and don't wish to waste any of my valuable dive time. Spending another $200 to insure I don't miss a dive is money well spent in my mind. If it doesn't work for you the solution is easy..........................Don't buy one.

I'm not a fan of the B.U.D. and just clipping it to myself (don't want anything dangling off of me) or putting it in a pocket. The more beneficial thing to do is just another wrist mount. Basic one button nitrox computers have come way down in price. I am a fan of wrist computers (hands free) so if you want back up, split them, one on each wrist. If one fails, quicker response. If one hand is tied up doing something (reaching in a pocket, unclipping something etc..) you still have Depth/BT/NDL/Ascent Rate where it is easily accessible.

Hey, I bought one of these, but with a wrist mount for $225. It was called the Veo 250.:wink: and I used it as a backup for my Veo 250. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

My main computer is a DataMask. I had a Veo 250 for my first computer, it was in a console. I didn't like the console and took it out and put it in a wrist mount. I liked that until the price on the DataMask came down and I traded the Veo using it as credit for my DataMask. The BUD was purchased as a backup. The 2 computers are from the same manufacturer and operate the same, they even operate the same as the Veo I had. If you already had a computer and a backup, what spurred your interest in the BUD?

The price point is a bit high for my taste. I'ld prefer to buy a Geo2 to back up my Atom3. If it was less money, maybe.......

My main computer is a DataMask. I had a Veo 250 for my first computer, it was in a console. I didn't like the console and took it out and put it in a wrist mount. I liked that until the price on the DataMask came down and I traded the Veo using it as credit for my DataMask. The BUD was purchased as a backup. The 2 computers are from the same manufacturer and operate the same, they even operate the same as the Veo I had. If you already had a computer and a backup, what spurred your interest in the BUD?
Note that my second sentence said, "It was called the Veo 250."

Back
Top Bottom