Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Though I am only half way through (well 2/3rds if you count classroom stuff), I have much respect for anyone who has taken this course. This isn't a walk in the park like the other classes. It definitely has me planning gym pool sessions to get in better shape.

We have done quite a bit so far. First we did rescuing a diver from shore. This was pretty simple. Toss a line to someone who is tired and pull them in. At this point, I believe this is going to be an easy class. No problem.

Next, we swim out to rescue a tired diver. Still, pretty easy. Just caution and a bit of surface swimming. Which I really dislike, but that's ok. Finished this no problem.

Next was an active panic diver. Now this was a challenge and required some work. I personally chose to swim around the victim and catch him from behind. The quarry vis was so low that descending was not an option. I would have had to get too close to see him and would have put myself in danger. But once I got control and established buoyancy, no problem.

Next we looked for a missing diver. This was another simple one. Deceptive though. I can imagine the stress of needing to find a diver. So mentally, I could see this being hard. But physically not so much.

Next we had to surface a non responsive diver safely. Again, a little tough but not too bad. I find under water exercises much easier than surface. The hardest part is knowing where the victim's equipment is. Like weights, how the bc inflater works, etc. I chose to vent his BC and just use mine for control on ascent.

Next we recovered a non responsive, non breathing diver on the surface. This one is what really made me tired. Though I had it easier the first time than my buddy. When he rescued me, I was in a wetsuit and my BC kept sliding towards my head. Making it difficult for him to do breaths. He really fought with it. For me, he was wearing a dry suit, which I inflated and ditched his whole rig making it easier. When we did it at full speed though, he forgot to connect his dry suit hose. But his was still easier to handle. We did both with the pocket mask and without.

Then we had to get the diver out of the water. During all of this we were instructed to do random emergency scenerios. For example I did an out of air simulation right after we found our missing diver and were dealing with the reel and stuff. My buddy did a run away ascent with air in the legs of his dry suit. We both did very well in quickly fixing problems. I was impressed. I think it helps that the person I did the rescue course with, I dive with a lot and recognize what is normal and what isn't. The course has given me a different, better outlook on buddy checks and just paying attention.

The rest is suppose to be next Sunday. But let me tell you, this wore me out. I am really glad I signed up though.

Reactions: D_B
Sounds like you have a good instructor/s and while they are making it tuff, you are having a good time with it. I remember when I took this class a decade ago. While it was a serious class and not easy by any stretch of the imagination, we found our limitations real quick and had a blast doing it.

We did some of our dives in a quarry and there were only 2 of us students. I recall one of the tasks being to locate and rescue a missing diver (one of our 2 instructors for the class). All we had was a general location, which was near a sunken house boat. We searched for him, without success, for what seemed like forever. We even penetrated the small house boat looking for him and could not find him. We must have went inside that boat a dozen times. Then just as we were exiting the boat for the last time, and about to give him up for dead, he reached down from above and ripped my mask off and my regulator out of my mouth. He had been plastered to the ceiling of that boat the whole time and we hadn't seen him or his bubbles. That was just one of many many times I had my mask and reg ripped from me during the class. They even tried to steal our BCDs one time while we were under water.

Think it's about time for me to retake that class!

We did some of our dives in a quarry and there were only 2 of us students. I recall one of the tasks being to locate and rescue a missing diver (one of our 2 instructors for the class). All we had was a general location, which was near a sunken house boat. We searched for him, without success, for what seemed like forever. We even penetrated the small house boat looking for him and could not find him. We must have went inside that boat a dozen times. Then just as we were exiting the boat for the last time, and about to give him up for dead, he reached down from above and ripped my mask off and my regulator out of my mouth. He had been plastered to the ceiling of that boat the whole time and we hadn't seen him or his bubbles. That was just one of many many times I had my mask and reg ripped from me during the class. They even tried to steal our BCDs one time while we were under water.

That sounds like quite the experience. Was this through PADI? I don't think this type of lesson would be allowed nowadays for a rescue diver course for many reasons (e.g., fear of a lawsuit/injury, wanting everyone to pass, etc.). On the other hand, I think that type of scenario is really beneficial. I'm sure after that, everything else (even minor emergencies) felt really easy for you.

I have considered taking this course a time or two. The reason I haven't is that I have had 2 shoulder reconstructions and am waiting to have a knee replaced. Oh, yeah, I'm 60 and in only fair shape. I do swim 2,000 yards a couple times a week but I do it with fins mask and snorkel. I do light weight lifting a couple times a week and a couple of 20 minute sessions on my elliptical. Mountain biking a couple times a week but the rest of the time I'm behind a desk and computer. I asked one instructor about it and she was doubtful I could do it (this was just a few months after my last shoulder surgery). I've considered taking the course just for the knowledge with no expectation of passing it. What do you all think? is it worth it?

I have considered taking this course a time or two. The reason I haven't is that I have had 2 shoulder reconstructions and am waiting to have a knee replaced. Oh, yeah, I'm 60 and in only fair shape. I do swim 2,000 yards a couple times a week but I do it with fins mask and snorkel. I do light weight lifting a couple times a week and a couple of 20 minute sessions on my elliptical. Mountain biking a couple times a week but the rest of the time I'm behind a desk and computer. I asked one instructor about it and she was doubtful I could do it (this was just a few months after my last shoulder surgery). I've considered taking the course just for the knowledge with no expectation of passing it. What do you all think? is it worth it?

I took the PADI Rescue course last year at age 59, in moderately good shape (for 59) and I found it quite challenging. I passed, but would not have been surprised if I hadn't. Rescue was my last training goal. Glad I took it. Someday I may be the only diver with any rescue training when the balloon goes up.

That sounds like quite the experience. Was this through PADI? I don't think this type of lesson would be allowed nowadays for a rescue diver course for many reasons (e.g., fear of a lawsuit/injury, wanting everyone to pass, etc.). On the other hand, I think that type of scenario is really beneficial. I'm sure after that, everything else (even minor emergencies) felt really easy for you.

The aim of every course is wanting people to all pass, but if they don't make the grade, they don't pass.

my next goal is also rescue diver. I'm 53 and once upon a time i was a paramedic and a public safety diver. So i actually have all the rescue skills....just not the cert. I'm in great shape for 53 as i'm a homeland security consultant and still do field operations. One motivation for rescue is the apalling lack of competent divers and even divemasters and instructors. Though i know some absolutely GREAT people, i frequently see DMs and instructors who have a significant lack of experience and knowledge being looked to for guidence. And i've had to be involved in several critical incidents all related to a lack of capability on the part of so-called "professionals". I know the only one i can really count on is me.

yes your instructor should take into account any physical limitations. It's better for you to know how to help than not.

I just finished Rescue last weekend. It was a really great class. I didn't find it that tough, but I work out quite a bit. I'm headed towards DM in January so I think my instructor really put me through a few extra paces during a few of the exercises. On one exercise the DM playing "victim" turned out to only have a cramp, but my instructor became the diver with extensive injuries. After I figured out who was worse off, the instructor really went crazy and made it a tough exit. I was shocked to see just how much air I could rifle through while only being at ~10'.

The class mantra (as with EFR) was adequate care given is better than perfect care withheld. That certainly helped me get out of my head about doing the EXACT perfect thing step by step even though we strive for that.

Bottom line is that I feel more comfortable in the water and am exponentially more aware of situations and other divers.

I did it with a Padi instructor. We also did a lot of self rescue exercises, often while doing the other scenerios at the same time. Things like, having a mask or reg knocked off. A leg cramp (I did have a couple real ones), a BC inflating nonstop, etc. Most of these were underwater, except the cramps. So it was mostly a challenge mentally with multitasking. Saving myself from trouble while saving an unresponsive diver at the same time. A lot of "what if"'s. I do really enjoy the course. Despite knowing the work it will take, I am looking forward to completing it this Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom