Diving Puget Sound! Few questions ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone -

So now that I have my drysuit all figured out, I am thinking Puget Sound should be the destination where I rob my drysuit of its saltwater virginity :eyebrow:

A few questions: I heard you guys have very good shore diving, but what about boat dives? Not much different that shore dives in terms of viz and marine life etc? I wanna meet the squid / giant octopus. Do I need a boat to get to him?

What would be the best month to dive?

Any other tips?

Thanks -

Sinbad.

We have great shore diving, and can frequently find octopuses in our usual sites. Boat dives get you out to rocky underwater structure (which is rare to find from shore) which tends to be less silty and to have a greater density of critters. Both kinds of dives are good. Our charters aren't generally expensive, in the range of $85 for a two-tank day.

Water temperatures are in the mid to high 40s in winter, and up into the low 50's in summertime. Visibility tends to be best in the fall and winter, but there is less to see in the water in the wintertime. September and October are great months to dive here.

You might PM jmendels here on SB. He was recently out here, and did a mixture of boat and shore dives. I'm sure he'll have some feedback about what he did and didn't like. I think he had a good time here.

Captain like I mentioned on your other thread, pick the best tides and that is your best way, If you want to pick a month, let me know and I will explain the best tides for that month and you can study and have an Idea about it. And the shore diving is easier cause of sea conditions. Bandidto is a good charter that runs all year and has great dives in the south puget. A drive to the Hood Canal area has less current to do on a more current day in the rest of the puget sound.

Captain like I mentioned on your other thread, pick the best tides and that is your best way, If you want to pick a month, let me know and I will explain the best tides for that month and you can study and have an Idea about it. And the shore diving is easier cause of sea conditions. Bandidto is a good charter that runs all year and has great dives in the south puget. A drive to the Hood Canal area has less current to do on a more current day in the rest of the puget sound.

Thanks so much my friend. I will surely keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom