Dry Suit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikko

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm moving from Guam (82degree water) to Monterey (much colder). I'm considering picking up a dry suit. Does anyone have any recommendations? I dive in my swimsuit here. I'll really miss that. But I don't want to give up diving just cause the water will be colder, and I still want to instruct when I'm there. (obviously not for several months and many dives though).

Any help will be much appreciated.

DUI. The TLS350 is a popular choice.
Whites. People seem to like the Fusion.
Bare.

Take advantage of demo days. DUI and Whites offer such opportunities.

You'll really like Monterey diving. Enjoy.

But if its not financially "do-able" ,check into a good semi dry suit or a good fitting 7mm-9mm wetsuit I do multi-dives and stay fairly warm(except boat dives the ride back gets chilly) A lot of people dive wet here. But if you tend to get cold the price for comfort is a small one ;-).

Take a look at the Hollis FX100. Very nice dry suit with lots of stretch to it and is very durable. Most of the folks in our dive club use those ( including me) if they dive dry. I paid a lot for a VERY nice wetsuit that was awesome, however, it hasn't been used since I got my Hollis dry suit. Plus there is just something great about being dry on the boat ride back, so much warmer!!

I just changed to a Whites Fusion after wearing out my Diving Concepts Compressed-Neo suit. Love it. Lots of choices out there, so if you can, try some out first.

If price is a matter go to Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey or Heatwave in Santa Cruz. They make custom 10 & 12mm wetsuits that are skin in. Meaning you have to lube up to get in. But the fit is amazing, you get almost no water flow and come out practically dry at the end of your dive.
Price is a little under $700.

Even if you do get a dry suit you should still check them out as they make some real good booties and dry hoods.

Dry diving is the way to go.

I dive a Bare Nexgen. It was inexpensive, and had lasted me over 6 years and it was used when I bought it.

I think Whites Fusions are the best thing going if your going to spend some bucks. It dove more like a wetsuit. It did not trap air like a traditional drysuit. I can not really quantify how this suit worked, but it was the best diving drysuit I've been in. I demoed one and that will be my next drysuit hands down.

You can get perfectly good drysuits in new conditions for less than $400 if you are patient, look online and educate as to what kind of suit you want. Make sure to take a class and rent before you buy. I myself like neoprene suits because I dont like the airflow in the trilam suits - too bulky with heavy undersuit that our 3 to 8 degree waters require. Others hate neoprene and go for trilam, saying they feel less restricted so make sure to try both!

Based on what I've heard I wouldn't dive dry in Monterey. But everyone's different and you're coming from the tropics. 7 mil farmer john should be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom