Note to Self... STOP Losing Gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSam

Sister of Shenanigans
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diving is expensive enough without adding lost gear to the dive budget. During a conversation with my frugal non-diving work colleague, he reminded me of all the dive gear I've lost since I started diving. :shakehead:

$150 Manta Ray Senior Reel dropped at the Vandenberg, Key West
$60 Waterproof 5mm Semi Dry Glove, lost during a boat dive in LI Sound
$75 Oceanic Mask lost a Dutch Springs, PA
$25 Several soft weights in various lbs lost at Dutch Springs, PA
$100 Light Monkey Rat Jr lost somewhere at Dutch Springs, PA
$350 Uwatec 2G Computer lost at parking lot of Ginnie Springs Devil's System, FL
$970 Olympus XZ-1, Olympus housing, SD memory card and double-ender lost on the Vickery, St Lawrence

I've only been diving a few years and did not own gear my first year but was surprise how much money/gear I've lost in the short time I've been diving.

Anyone else losing their gear and want to share their loss(es) or am I just *that* special? :crying:

I for one love diving with Sam because if you stay slightly behind her it is amazing the gear you can get your hands on. I have a new camera, computer, mask, glove....:D

Only thing I've lost so far was a $200 Sanyo Xacti due to a flood. I attribute that to an error on my part in closing up the housing. Ebay-replaced the camera and it's been fine through about 30 dives.

We've "lost" two masks, but recovered both.
Sue dropped hers when she rinsed it while the boat was still moving, without a firm grip. We moved a bit further up current, dropped in (with her wearing a spare mask) and picked hers up as we explored the reef.
I backrolled in and felt my mask come off. I was suprised how slowly they sink. It's a prescription mask, and I'm bat-blind without it, but our guide saw it comes loose and caught it before it even got to the bottom.

I for one lover diving with Sam because if you stay slightly behind her it is amazing the gear you can get your hands on. I have a new camera, computer, mask, glove....:D

Steve :no: you weren't supposed to tell her about our "finds" now we'll actually have to BUY our own gear :(

I do not think I have lost anything (other than my mind and my cookies) on any given dive day. Similar to Dirty-Dog, I almost lost a mask. I was forced to do the Tobermory Twist off the Maime (charter boat in Tobermory) and had my mask slip off. My dive buddy was gracious enough to consume part of his air to quickly retrieve it as he was already in the water.

This is funny, I've actually found a bunch of gear.

I found a Manta Ray Senior Reel in Key West, an Oceanic Mask, weights, and a Rat Jr. at DS, an Uwatec 2G at Ginnie Springs, and an Olympus camera on the Vickery... Sorry, haven't found any gloves. :wink:

Diving is expensive enough without adding lost gear to the dive budget. During a conversation with my frugal non-diving work colleague, he reminded me of all the dive gear I've lost since I started diving. :shakehead:

$150 Manta Ray Senior Reel dropped at the Vandenberg, Key West
$60 Waterproof 5mm Semi Dry Glove, lost during a boat dive in LI Sound
$75 Oceanic Mask lost a Dutch Springs, PA
$25 Several soft weights in various lbs lost at Dutch Springs, PA
$100 Light Monkey Rat Jr lost somewhere at Dutch Springs, PA
$350 Uwatec 2G Computer lost at parking lot of Ginnie Springs Devil's System, FL
$970 Olympus XZ-1, Olympus housing, SD memory card and double-ender lost on the Vickery, St Lawrence

I've only been diving a few years and did not own gear my first year but was surprise how much money/gear I've lost in the short time I've been diving.

Anyone else losing their gear and want to share their loss(es) or am I just *that* special? :crying:

Only thing I've lost so far was a $200 Sanyo Xacti due to a flood. I attribute that to an error on my part in closing up the housing. Ebay-replaced the camera and it's been fine through about 30 dives.

We've "lost" two masks, but recovered both.
Sue dropped hers when she rinsed it while the boat was still moving, without a firm grip. We moved a bit further up current, dropped in (with her wearing a spare mask) and picked hers up as we explored the reef.
I backrolled in and felt my mask come off. I was suprised how slowly they sink. It's a prescription mask, and I'm bat-blind without it, but our guide saw it comes loose and caught it before it even got to the bottom.

Lucky the guide was able to retrieve your prescription mask. I was not able to retrieve the reel nor the camera when I discovered they were gone. I started to go after them but then my instructor's voice came into my head about not chasing after your gear, if you can't offer to lost it, you should not be in diving. You can get very single-minded chasing gear and not realize depth or direction or gas remaining. In both incidents I started swimming away from my buddy toward the gear which immediately woke me up to what was more important...my life as well as my buddy's life.

The camera incident was in current and we were right next to an active shipping lane and off the anchor line which during the debrief the Captain said to hold on to that line.

Steve :no: you weren't supposed to tell her about our "finds" now we'll actually have to BUY our own gear :(
Woohoo, I'll expect the camera and housing shortly from you both! :D

This is funny, I've actually found a bunch of gear.

I found a Manta Ray Senior Reel in Key West, an Oceanic Mask, weights, and a Rat Jr. at DS, an Uwatec 2G at Ginnie Springs, and an Olympus camera on the Vickery... Sorry, haven't found any gloves. :wink:
:rofl3:

:mooner: Hand over my stuff. :letsparty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom