How to be a good buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going on my first dive since getting certified in about six weeks now. I'll be going alone, since my wife isn't certified yet, but I'm scheduling with a local dive operator.

What tips, advice, whatever can you give me on how to make myself a good buddy vs. a bad buddy? I hear a lot on this board about how a buddy is usually someone you get stuck with on a charter, and how they usually totally suck. I'm hoping to avoid at least some of the pitfalls.

I plan on admitting up front my inexperience and unfamiliarity with the dive. I also hope you can give me some advice on what to do, what to have, and what to say so I don't come off like a complete a$$. I'd like to come off more as a determined rookie than a clueless noob, if it's even possible. :)

Thanks! Lurking here in the depths has already been really informative.

Don't leave your wingman to chase Viper.

STAY CLOSE TO YOUR BUDDY

Definitley make your buddy aware of your experience

STAY CLOSE TO YOUR BUDDY

Politely offer advice, and humbly accept it

STAY CLOSE TO YOUR BUDDY

Brief and debrief every dive

STAY CLOSE TO YOUR BUDDY

Other than that, I would just say stay close to your buddy. Don't wonder off or chase fish. And when examining something cool, don't forget to glance over to your buddy every few seconds to know everything is fine.

baenglish73 once bubbled...
Don't leave your wingman to chase Viper.

How many times did Goose warn Maverick not to leave Iceman? I heard quite a few. Even Hollywood said not too.

I would say take Maverick's attitude, stunts, behavior, ego, etc, do the opposite and you will be a great dive buddy.

Wijbrandus once bubbled...
what to do, what to have, and what to say

My randomly assigned buddy this last weekend was awesome.

We shook hands, shot the sh*t a little and then got to discussing things in the manner of, "When do you want to turn around? What I usually do is..." and "I have a standard Octo, what do you wear?"

He (like I prefer to do) went over everything in the most natural way. It was amazing.

Get to know the hand signs you both use, who will be leading, where you want to go, how each other's gear is configured, which reg where if the unthinkable ooa happens, who has knives and where are they, how to get your gear off in case of emerg, where weight releases are,

Then during the dive try to stay in a formation of some kind, there's no fun in having a buddy go from left to right to 40ft behind to swimming on top of you during a dive.

I don't go diving on a boat if I'm not with a reliable buddy. I've wasted too much time and money finding myself either chaperoning guys who should not have been in the water in the first place, or left me on my own a few minutes into the dive.

I don't mind chaperoning new divers as long as it's part of the deal going in. I do it often and actually enjoy it. Just not when I'm going to spend $100 for a boat trip.

I have found that no matter how much prep you put into the dive plan, some guys are narced the second they hit the water and forget everything that was discussed.

Of course, you can get lucky and find a great buddy randomly. I just don't like the odds.

Arnaud,

I'm not sure what I should get out of that post.

Are you saying that as a rookie diver, I shouldn't go out on a trip? I should just stay on the cruise boat, and not get wet?

Seems to me this is the only way I'll get the experience I need to meet the standard you want in a dive buddy.

I'm confused. Perhaps you could elaborate on your point?

Wijbrandus once bubbled...
I am going on my first dive since getting certified in about six weeks now. I'll be going alone, since my wife isn't certified yet, but I'm scheduling with a local dive operator.

What tips, advice, whatever can you give me on how to make myself a good buddy vs. a bad buddy? I hear a lot on this board about how a buddy is usually someone you get stuck with on a charter, and how they usually totally suck. I'm hoping to avoid at least some of the pitfalls.

I plan on admitting up front my inexperience and unfamiliarity with the dive. I also hope you can give me some advice on what to do, what to have, and what to say so I don't come off like a complete a$$. I'd like to come off more as a determined rookie than a clueless noob, if it's even possible. :)

Thanks! Lurking here in the depths has already been really informative.

Here are a few tips:

Before the dive:
- Be open (but not embarrassed) about your experience level. We all started with zero experience.
- Make a plan that includes as a minimum "how deep", "when to turn" and "when to surface" in pressure and/or time (pressure is easier)
- review of hand signals you want to use.
- review of OOA protocol. There are a couple of variants and you should know which one your buddy is expecting (donate primary/donate octopus).
- Discuss what to do if you get separated (common is search 1 min then surface normally to join up again).
- I'm guessing you'll be following a DM for navigation but in any case talk through the dive so you have a visual idea of what to expect.
- find out what your buddy wants to do. If his expectations are beyond your comfort zone say it and/or get another buddy.
- tell your buddy what you want to do.

Under water:
- descend together and ascend together. Match your tempo to your buddy provided it's safe to do so.
- Swim shoulder to shoulder with your buddy. Don't follow him. Discuss this point before the dive.
- Stay out of his fins and stay on the same side of him if you can.
- If you change sides give him the OK sign so he knows you changed sides.
- Don't get too far away (more than 2-3 metres, viz permitting) but give him room to dive, which means don't stay so close that you're constantly bumping into him. Many divers find unintentional contact a little bit irritating, especially if it's happening often.
- Keep good track of your air and warn him when you get to 1/2 pressure and to 1/4 pressure. If your buddy is much more experienced than you are then there's a chance that you'll use your air faster than him/her and you should keep them up to date.
- If you want to stop to look at something or to change directions make sure you watch your buddy and make sure he sees you. If you need to tell him then take the time and *then* change directions (or depth).
- If you do happen to lose him then back-track at the same depth and chances are you'll find him again.

And finally, be aware that many dívers don't have these basic skills. It could be, regardless of what *you* do, that your buddy turns out to be a clown. If that happens then stick with it within your comfort zone and talk it over with them between dives. Whatever you do don't put yourself in danger by following a clown out of your comfort zone.

R..

Wijbrandus,

I'd have you as a buddy anytime. You're concerned and concientious enough to ask this question. That tells us a lot. Don't take that last post personally. Just RELAX. That's what this activity is all about, and keep safety as your top priority. A dive is no place for ego, attitude, and bravado- though you'll see plenty of it. Diving is generally simple, safe, easy, and as much fun as I've ever had. What the rest said, do mutual gear checks and familiarity. Review signals, choose a leader, and have a bit of an activity/ route plan if the dive requires it.

No worries,
don

Back
Top Bottom