Freshwater Creek/Stream Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekaj88

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I'm pretty new to diving and am on my way to certification. I have a question concerning scuba diving in creeks and streams.
I haven't been able to find much/any good information about freshwater creek diving, and I'm afraid this is because it isn't all that great. Maybe it can't be done successfully, I just don't know.
I live in Kentucky and some of my family members own land with a creek running through it. The depth of this creek varies greatly; it's average is probably only about 4ft, but some places are much deeper (at least 15ft, I couldn't touch bottom in some of the holes).
I am very interested in renting some equipment, once I'm certified and have some experience, and diving in the creek.
I have one spot in particular, here are some details:
-It's approximately 20ft deep
-The Surface water moves along pretty steadily, but it is located at a bend in the creek so the current can definitely be safely dealt with.
-Visibility seems pretty poor, and light doesn't seem to penetrate very deeply
-Not really sure what other info to give

So essentially I want to know if anyone else has done this before, and if so, could they offer any advice?
Thanks.

(Sorry if anything I said sounds ignorant; as I said before, I am an extreme beginner.)

If it's all you have to play in, why not?

I would make friends with some of those monster Catfish >"•"<

I've dove in good-vis freshwater creeks and it's been great. I'd be a bit worried about the current and entanglements, but perhaps that's just based on stuff my grandma said to scare me when I was ten.

Hey, if I lived there I'd dive it.

I dive in a brook occasionally, but right at it's mouth at the Atlantic. Interesting to watch the crabs appear. Top layer of water is fresh for about a foot, then salt below creating a big halocline. Of course, I have an exit point beyond the mouth so I need not fight the river current back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom