Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Based on the risks involved with even the smallest amount of Carbon Monoxide in your air (and some recent, though rare, accidents), I'm just wondering whether those of you who go on scuba vacations test your tank air frequently.

Do you own a CO detector? Would it be too paranoid for me to buy one (I'm sure most people who go on scuba vacations don't have them.)?

Can CO detectors measure the gas composition (e.g., percent oxygen/nitrogen or even trimix)?
Can CO detectors measure air pressure?

Do you own a CO detector? Would it be too paranoid for me to buy one (I'm sure most people who go on scuba vacations don't have them.)?

Can CO detectors measure the gas composition (e.g., percent oxygen/nitrogen or even trimix)?

Don't currently have one but starting to consider it.

CO detectors measure CO. If you want more gasses than that, you have to buy more detectors. It looks like the Oxycheq units could be plumbed in parallel, so that one tube from your tank fed all 2 or 3 boxes.

The sensors all work at LP after being down-regulated by an orifice, valve, or regulator. So they can't measure tank pressure.

Based on the risks involved with even the smallest amount of Carbon Monoxide in your air (and some recent, though rare, accidents), I'm just wondering whether those of you who go on scuba vacations test your tank air frequently.

CO detectors detect CO .... hence the name.

I have never tested a tank for carbon monoxide and probably never will. While I realize that it is possible that a tank could become contaminated, the chances of that happening is so remote that it's a risk I'm willing to take. At some point I think a person has to decide where to draw the line in trying to mitigate their risk in diving.

If you ask (and continue to ask) the dive destination you are headed to if they monitor CO at the source (the air compressor), eventually everyone will put a CO monitor on their air compressors. Of course, most folks won't even ask for a basic air quality test.

I have never tested a tank for carbon monoxide and probably never will. While I realize that it is possible that a tank could become contaminated, the chances of that happening is so remote that it's a risk I'm willing to take. At some point I think a person has to decide where to draw the line in trying to mitigate their risk in diving.

Do you test O2 on a tank of Nitrox ? Or do you take the label at face value

I think a time will come where CO testing will be a matter of course.

I don't currently own a CO detector, but I think this last accident will make me buy one. There have been three CO-related deaths in the area in recent history, and I dive there regularly.

Do you test O2 on a tank of Nitrox ? Or do you take the label at face value

Either I test it or have my dive buddy test it so I'll know how to set my computer but I don't test it for carbon monoxide.

Either I test it or have my dive buddy test it so I'll know how to set my computer but I don't test it for carbon monoxide.

My point is that in the same way that we take for granted that we need to test O2 content in Nitrox ourselves, a time will come where testing for CO will be as commonplace.

Back
Top Bottom