theft problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T:)nde

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new Open Water Diver :) and I would need some advice how or where to keep my belongings when I am diving. I would not feel comfortable leaving my stuff on the shore when I don't have anybody to supervise it.
Please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

what stuff are you referring to? Usually I think everyone just leaves stuff locked up in their car.

For me i just shore dive right now so i get all suited up. The rest of my stuff that im not taking in the water gets locked in my car. Some ppl leave the keys under the bumper or on a tire but i dont like that itea since another person once watched me and said " I was going to steal dive gear that is were i would look" as i was putting my keys under my bumber. Since then I went to REI and picked up a rock climbing locking D ring and clip it to my BCD. That why i have my keys with me and thy are not going any were. Well unless i have to ditch my BCD. If you are not doing any Tech diving ie wreck or caves this is a good why to go in my mind!:wink:

I lock all the stuff that is not "going with me" in the SUV along with the keys and the remote. I carry a single "emergency key" on a ring attached to my BC.

(this may not be DIR, but it works for me)

Remember that the emergency key will get dunked in salt water, so it needs to be rinsed off before putting it into the door locks. Also it will corrode, but it was only a couple dollars at the hardware store.

A lot of people at Breakwater in Monterey simply leave gear on a tarp on the lawn, and they trust that the other divers will watch for anyone walking off with gear. Dangerous at best.

Just a couple thoughts,

Wristshot

I drive a suzuki samurai so locking up when beach diving isn't an option. I have a seal dry pack (which isn't) and a plastic waterproof box that fits in it. I keep my glasses, license, health card, a 20 and Dan card in the box and the keys in the bag. It all goes with me.

I put rings on the neck of my 80s and run a cable through the ring and secure the tank in the car.

T:)nde once bubbled...
Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new Open Water Diver :) and I would need some advice how or where to keep my belongings when I am diving. I would not feel comfortable leaving my stuff on the shore when I don't have anybody to supervise it.
Please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Why do you need to leave your stuff on shore?

I sometimes use a rope to help get in/out the water at low tide and it stays laying with a little note asking not to take it. To date no problems. I've also left lead laying in a metre of water at the entry point after doing a buoyancy check but under water there isn't much chance that anyone will see it or take it.

Other than that I've never seen the need to leave anything behind on shore.

R..

I too keep a duplicate key on a clip that I "clip" to one of the D-rings of my BC. It works like a charm for me.

ReeseTD once bubbled...
For me i just shore dive right now so i get all suited up. The rest of my stuff that im not taking in the water gets locked in my car. Some ppl leave the keys under the bumper or on a tire but i dont like that itea since another person once watched me and said " I was going to steal dive gear that is were i would look" as i was putting my keys under my bumber. Since then I went to REI and picked up a rock climbing locking D ring and clip it to my BCD. That why i have my keys with me and thy are not going any were. Well unless i have to ditch my BCD. If you are not doing any Tech diving ie wreck or caves this is a good why to go in my mind!:wink:

So far we have been very lucky in that we have not had any gear stolen from our local dive sites. It may be because there is always someone on shore, and we know just about everyone. However, when traveling to an unknown or secluded location, everything stays in the truck/camper. It is however unlocked, but being a camper, people tend to respect it as such and leave it alone.

Something about the unwritten rule about camping, campers, and the pro gun stickers on it seems to do the trick.

Of course I'm from Texas...My pickup truck has a keypad on the door.....sweet! Ain't that right, Dee?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom