Yet another recommendations thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm starting the planning for a spring trip to FL. Probably some time in early-mid April. We're looking at the keys, primarily, but I plan on a stop to do BHB again on our return trip home (assuming we drive) and I'm not against other options if there are some good recommendations. (I want to dive Jupiter but I don't think this is the trip for it, for example. See Below.)

The key concerns (no pun intended) are that my brother will be doing his OW cert dives as part of this trip. I'm looking for recommendations of ops to finish up with and specific dives you'd do as a newb (me) and a total newb (my brother) who are both very comfortable in the water.

I will have approximately 25 dives at that point- in a bunch of different conditions/locations. I'm thinking Molasses and Pennekamp will be good for depth and "ease" without any major concerns but I know there are a couple of more shallow wrecks in the keys that I might be interested in seeing. Any recommendations for the shallower wrecks? Recommendations for areas other than the keys that might offer some great wildlife/reef exploration for some newbs on a week-long trip?

I've looked into several of the key operators based on other threads about FL but so far haven't found much info or recommendations on specific instructors for OW class, either referral or otherwise. Anyone care to throw out some shop or instructor names that you've had good experiences with in the past?

In Key Largo I recommend Quiesence Dive. They run 6-pack boats only. Their captains and crew have been with them forever. They are one of the best and most first-class operators down there. They will know all of the spots. You will not find anything but outstanding comments here on the board. Since I did not get certified from them I can't recommend a particular instructor, but I don't think you will be disappointed in their staff.

Pennekamp is about the most benign area I know of for new divers. The diving is shallow (35 feet or less), the reefs are beautiful, the water is clear, and there is loads of marine life. Perfect place for certification dives and for newer divers, but the diving is world-class even though it is shallower. There are also deeper reefs in Pennekamp such as Carysfort reef at about 60'. Quiesence will know about that one, and it is a good deeper dive for the last of the certification dives.

Farther south, another good shop is Conch Republic. My wife got certified there. The instructor was Jason. He was very good, very "old school" in that he was serious about his skills training. They still taught tables, which speaks worlds for their thoroughness. They are a little way from Key Largo, though, but have great dive sites of their own that they visit.

Actually, there are not that many "shallow" wrecks. The major wrecks are deep (75' and deeper). However, there are two wrecks in Pennekamp, the Benwood and the City of Washington, that are not very big. They are mainly low-lying debris fields with maybe 5' or relief and no penetrations, but they have lots of good marine life. They are 35' or less (Benwood may get to 40 at the sand). They are excellent for new divers and certification dives.

AS for diving West Palm or Jupiter, there are good reef drift dives where the crown of the reef is between 40-50' or even a little shallower in places. All the operators know the good spots. Beginning divers can do these dives if they have some confidence and it might be a good stop on the way home after your brother gets certified (the shops up there certify classes all the time doing this), and some operators put a dive guide in the water to stick with.

I would recommend Underwater Explorers in Boynton, where the captain almost always acts as the guide. Other good ops are Jim Abernethy, and Pura Vida, both in West Palm. Check with them to see if they put a guide in the water.

I think there is one more shallow wreck in the Key Largo area known as 'Mike's Wreck'. It is similar to the Bendwood (and probably a bit smaller): most of what remains are a few ribs and metal plate scattered on the sea floor.

One other Op in the WPB area that is good for training is The Scuba Club Welcome to The Scuba Club, America's Only Country Club For Scuba Divers in West Palm Beach, FL I did my advance open water with them a few years ago. Ernie was the instructor.

I am doing a rescue diver course with Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea and have been happy with the operation/training so far. Tom is the instructor Gold Coast Scuba » Your Site Name

Another option is Force-E in WPB. My sister did a refresher course with Mark and was very happy with the class. Riviera Beach Scuba Diving Center - Dive store in central Riviera Beach

I agree with G. Harris on the other ops too, I've been out with all of them on dive trips (but not training) and have been pleased with how they run their boats.

I go with Quiesence also when I am in the Keys. They run the 6 packs. If you are reserved with them, they will go even if you are the only one to show up. Also, you can often choose the dive site. Quiesence dives quite a few spots that only they dive so you get taken to some pretty pristine spots. Even if you spend the whole week diving at less than 40' off of Key Largo, I doubt that you will run out of places to see in a week. There are a bunch of sites. Also many of the reefs are quite large and have many mooring balls. No two spots on the reef are quite the same.

I have not used anyone in the Keys for intstruction so on that aspect, I could not say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom