Don't Dive Angry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We've been diving the Redondo Barge a lot lately. Between finding new nudibranchs, octopus nests and sea lion encounters it's been an exciting run. Sometimes, even fun can get boring. There are several artificial reefs near the barge made up of boulders, pier pilings and concrete blocks. One reef is within swimming distance to the barge.
I decided to lay some line between the barge and the nearby reef so that we could dive the barge, but also visit the reef on the same dive. This would increase our chances at interesting animal encounters.
The ocean was pretty flat today so we headed out to the barge, where we dropped a marker. We then anchored near the reef and planned to lay line between the two sites. After hoisting the colors (dive flag) we were gearing up when two private fishing boats arrived and began fishing right next to us. One even circled our float.
We pulled anchor, grabbed our float and after explaining nicely to the fishermen what a dive flag was, we left for the Landing Craft instead.
Conditions here were nice, with more than twenty feet visibility on the wreck. I didn't zip my drysuit all the way, so I was not only still upset about the fishermen, I was now soaked.
I managed only three photos during the dive. I was looking for small, interesting subjects while Merry shot video. The only nudibranch I found was a single Spanish Shawl. Merry had encounters with five Giant Sea Bass. Two of them came right up to her face.
I got back on the boat, took a hot shower and brought my drysuit home to dry inside and out. It is now cooling in the evening breeze. I guess I need to do the same.

8247fdae3ebf4e108925f024452e6f51

df506bc518fc4c47978332940f48dcb5

c99fa4b822af40a8bdf119937b9ef66c

[youtubehq]Bt9JX-pAKjU?hd=1[/youtubehq]

@Phil: With the little time you had on the wreck, you were still able to capture a superb Spanish Shawl shot.

@Merry: Wow! What an incredible dive that must have been! Got to love when the big boys "and girls" come out to play:wink:

One of the worst dives of my life was a cave dive I attempted when I was furious. Strong emotions mean your head is not in the game.

You guys managed to have some safe fun anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom