renting vs. owning - newbie ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carebear

Reaction score
I'm planning my first trip in December (we're going to Turks & Caicos), and was wondering if it would be better to rent equipment or buy my own. Right now, all I own is a snorkel, mask and fins. :) I understand why you would want to own your own equipment, so you are used to the way it works, know where it's been, etc. but I don't know if it's worth the investment for me if I only plan on going on maybe 1 or 2 trips a year and a couple low viz hell experiences during the summer to keep my skills up. Any suggestions?

I prefer owning, buy I dive every weekend. For me I save lots of money by owning and not renting. If your not going to dive a lot, and only use the gear on trips, it's probably not worth the investment for you. A lot of all inclusive resorts include dive gear in the price anyway. I would at least own the basics though, mask, fins, snorkel, possibly wetsuit (unless you have no problem using one that the person before you pissed in:)

On how much diving you will really do.

If you really only do a couple of trips a year then renting is the way to go. If you find that you dive more often then buying gear starts to pay off.

What do you mean by low vis hell?
Low vis is where I live, work and sometimes play.

Good vis means that I can see something.
Great vis means I can see it before I can touch it.

Vis?
We don' got no stinkin' vis.
We don' need no stinking vis!

People who own their own gear tend to dive more either because they spent the money and are more motivated to use the gear and to dive more often or because they are not having to shuck out $40 per day for rental expenses and/or mess with the logistics of having to go to the LDS and get and return all the gear every time they want to dive.

If you are really only going to only do 1 or 2 tropical dive trips per year with a couple of dives in the summer to maintain your skills ("maintain" may be an incorrect and somewhat optimistic word here) then buying does not make sense and you are better off renting.

If you dive awhile, decide you like it and that you want to do it a lot more, then you can always decide to buy your own gear at that point and you may have a better idea of exactly what you like and what you want.

carebear once bubbled...
I only plan on going on maybe 1 or 2 trips a year and a couple low viz hell experiences during the summer to keep my skills up.

That's what I said last April.

That was before I wound up going to the quarry near on every weekend all summer.

Before I wound up dropping a zillion dollars on gear.

I'm glad I bought my all my own stuff, though. Not only did I save money on renting the whole rig every time but I bought better stuff than they rent and I'm far more comfortable with the way it all works. But, then, I got bit by the bug pretty hard.

I'll bet you a dollar, if you're already cruising this board, you will too.

pipedope once bubbled...

Good vis means that I can see something.
Great vis means I can see it before I can touch it.

I read your posts here and on TDS. I just gotta tell you, you friggen sewer rat, you crack me up. Thanks for the insight on the reverse siphon incident, and thanks for always chiming in and keepin' it real.

Diving as a pursuit is so diverse. I mean, in its most basic premise, its using gear to breathe in liquid. Some of us weenies appreciate the added virtues of being able to see, having our liquid of choice be, you know...WATER, not having to take a chemical bath after we get out, being able to take pictures, etc.

Some of us just like the tactile sensation of being in liquid and breathing. Some of us call upon freaks (and I mean that in the best possible way) like you to do all the nasty stuff in the liquid (and sometimes not-so-liquid.

You rock. Keep it real, and keep opening the aperature on "diving" so we don't forget there's a lot more than "look at the pretty fishie..."

K

I prefer owning - with your own gear you get to know where things are and you tend to be much more comfortable. Plus you know that you've maintained your gear and its shouldnt fail you due to neglect.

Thats just my 2 cents!

Even on vacation you only have so many dives and since you are already investing in the fab vac why risk even one dive to bad equipment. Also basic dive equipment is not just a fashion accessory it is your life support.
Spend the money, ensure the vacation.

My vote goes to buying, because you will dive more often, when all it costs to go to a quarry is an entrance fee and a couple tanks or fills you'll be motivated to go, that will allow you to maintain your skills continuously, instead of relearning them every couple of months.

The order of purchase is something interesting and will no doubt spark debate, but a wetsuit would be #1 on my list with what you already have, then some people say a BC so you will use one that will fit better, some people say a reg because you know how it's maintained, still other people would say in your situation (mostly travel) a computer because it will maximze your dives while you're on vacation. Ultimately the choice is up to you though.

Good luck,

Ben

If you think you are going to continue diving, even if at a less frequent basis, I'd say buying is better. Rental equipment is generally low-end, and often poor fit.

If you can't justify getting the whole thing, I'd suggest at least getting a BC that fits you and you like. The next step would be a computer, as then you won't have to fiddle with a new computer every vacation. (If you usually dive tables and are OK with that option, then you don't need to buy one.)

I don't think buying a regulator is necessary as long as you go to places that maintain their rental gear.

Owning your own BC is critical because good fit is very important to how you do underwater. Owning other gear is good, too, but not as much as the BC, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom