It's Halloween, What is your scariest eeriest most haunted dive story?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Pasic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
With Halloween being around the corner I was curious to see if any of my fellow divers have experienced anything haunted, supernatural or mysterious while diving?

With so many haunted ship wrecks if ghosts can pass through walls they must be able to haunt the deep dark sea as well.

What unexplained underwater monsters or events have occurred that left you asking your buddy, "what the heck was that!?

The closest I have ever been to a "haunted dive" was my first drop into the Cooper River, wow I did not expect the small vis window, but grew to feel comfort in it. The ghost shrimp, the small flounders, and worst of all the big azz catfish that all kept drifting in and out of vis was surreal!

Pretty good viz that day, about 6', we were cleaning sailboat hulls in Burnham Harbor, Chicago.

Angelo "Squeaky" Garrizanno, chained to a pinball machine.

Best I got.

In late October of 2001 my friend Peter and I were doing the "last dive" at a local reservoir that has a dedicated scuba area, but that area closes on October 31. As we were diving in the 55 degree water with viz at about 20 feet (excellent for that location), at a depth of only about 30 feet, it suddenly got VERY dark, literally as dark as night. We also both heard a loud hissing sound that lasted for several minutes, but inspection reveled no air leaks on any equipment. We headed toward shallower water and shore, and noticed a definite drop in the water temperature as we went shallow, the opposite of what we expected. We were both really creeped out by then. We reached a depth of about 5 feet and then stood up and looked around. There had been a hail storm that dumped about 8 inches of 1/2 inch hail in the lake! ( and the surrounding area ). It was like the pool cover had been closed and the lights shut off, as the hail floated on the surface cutting out what little light the deep clouds were letting through. It was a very cold time getting out of wet gear and loading it in the truck. That was a very creepy dive!
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
I found the boot of a dead sailor on a ww2 wreck in Italy once. Creepy...

How do you know? Was his foot still in it?

It was clearly a very old boot. Since most ww2 vets have passed, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this sailor has passed, as well. Now, if he died when the ship was sunk, we'll never know.

In Cozumel when i was 12 i Saw a large barracuda inside the airplane wreck on a night dive . It scarred me pretty good at the time i thought they were dangerous.

We were at Vets park in redondo. A night dive with 10-20 vis at about 85' when all of a sudden the vis dropped to about 2 feet. We soon went through the silt cloud and back to 20' vis. All we can figure is that something quite large was down there and left when we got near it, but no idea of what it was.

A few months ago I was diving Gastineau Channel in Juneau Alaska, the condations weren't bad, vis about 3 feet current 2 knots. I was dropping in on a 50 fsw hole where an eddy was forming. I was diving to treasures like plates, forks and cool things since it was a dump site during the gold times of Juneau. When I get to the bottom a massive halibut comes out of mud on the side of the slope a few inches from my face I about unloaded in my drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom