Advanced Dive Key Largo-Birthday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underthesea81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey fellow FL peoples,

Ive dove key largo before-twice actually, and my family and I are headed down to Key LArgo again for my 30th birthday.

Just me diving but I would like to get some opinions on the "best spots" outside of what I have already dove.

My cert level is Advanced Open Water, Nitrox, and I have about 25 dives under my belt. My interests are large marine life, walls, going deep, some photo.

I have done both Molasses and French reef-didnt see the shark on French :( Molasses included Mo Deep which i thought was awesome.
I know there are three wrecks down there, is there one that is a MUST DO for the first tank.
Any sites that based on my preferences I should definately request, i don't mind paying a few bucks more for a small boat as long as they take me out to the preffered spot-which ive found the smaller ones down there will do.

Ill be diving two days, once on my birthday morning (what better way to turn 30) and probably the day after.

ALL advice appreciated in helping me get to more sites in Key Largo!

Since you are AOW why not dive the Speigle Grove, Duane and Bibb. I don't know of any walls out there.

I'm not a huge wreck guy but to be fair I've only done two and they were shallow ones in palm beach. Which wreck would change my mind?

There is a deeper reef at Carysfort light, about 60-80 feet, that is pretty nice. It is also by the gulf stream so you might see some pelagic life. Carysfort also has a spectacular shallow reef, easily equal to or better than French and Molasses for photos. Check with your dive op if they go to Carysfort and if they don't, post here and you can get recommendations for some that do.

Also, Conch Republic Divers just south of Key Largo does a drift dive over 60-80 foot reefs that are very nice. They are about the only op I know that does reef drift dives in the upper Keys. The drift dive is a real treat.

You could do either of these with a buddy you pick up on the boat. I think Conch Republic also puts a guide in the water for the drift dive (not as a buddy but someone the group can follow).

The wrecks are spectacular and can have large life. They are also seriously advanced dives. These wrecks are deep and can have strong currents. AOW with 25 dives is a good start, but if you do them I would recommend getting a dive guide to go with you rather than relying on an insta-buddy. Any shop can provide a guide and prices vary. Check with your dive op.

My pleasure, and happy birthday!

If I were to make a recommendation, it would be:

one morning with a deep/shallow dive at Carysfort

Then your choice:

The Conch Republic drift dive with a shallow reef after. Check with Conch Republic because the drift is not an every day dive so see when they have one going

or, if conditions permit,

A guided wreck dive with a shallow reef after -- this would be really special because the guide could show you the best spots on the wreck (The Spiegel is huge and cannot be fully covered on one dive) and you would have a challenging dive under your belt.

However, Conch Republic could set you up with the latter two which would make things easier. They do not do Carysfort.

If you want to do Carysfort, I would recommend Quiesence Diving in Key Largo (which runs 6 pack boats--really nice), or Silent World in Key Largo (which runs one 6 pack and one larger boat). They both do Carysfort but check specifically to make sure they are going the days you will be there. They can also do the wrecks and provide a guide, but they don't do drift dives as far as I know.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before: The Speigle Grove, Bibb and Duane are sunken ships that you can dive off of Key Largo. If you go on down another ten or so miles to Tavernier you can reach them plus the Eagle. None of these dives are technical dives unless you want to enter the Speigle Grove. They are all fairly deep but not exceeding recreational recommendations. The Eagle is about 125' to the sand and the others are about the same if I remember correctly. I dove the Speigle Grove when I only had ten ocean dives but with an instructor and two very experienced divers to keep an eye on me. On this particular day there were about four foot waves and a strong current. I felt like a flag whipping in the wind till I got down to about 50' when it calmed down and there was hardly any current below that. I have noticed this same thing on all the others at one time or the other. Other days there will be hardly any current all the way down. On all these dives you will be going down and back up on a buoy line so there's no chance of being carried away unless you lose your grip. Did I hear someone saying "SMB"? Unless you are fearful about you competency I'd recommend any of these dives with either a DM or a competent diving partner. Wusses need not apply.

If you want to do Carysfort, I would recommend Quiesence Diving in Key Largo (which runs 6 pack boats--really nice), or Silent World in Key Largo (which runs one 6 pack and one larger boat). They both do Carysfort but check specifically to make sure they are going the days you will be there. They can also do the wrecks and provide a guide, but they don't do drift dives as far as I know.

+ 1 for Silent World and Quiessence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom