the early bird ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've always loved early morning dives. Getting in the water before dawn and watching as the water slowly turns lighter ... and watching the "shifts" change as the nocturnal critters turn in for the day and the water slowly fills with the day creatures clocking in for a hard day of scavenging. I often do these kinds of dives when on vacation, but for some reason don't do them very often at home.

This morning was the exception. I got to Redondo at around 6 AM, parking over in front of the beach just north of Salty's. My destination was the eelgrass beds north of the beach ... in search of lumpsuckers.

It was a perfect morning. The tide was high, and there wasn't a breath of wind or surf. A soft moonlight reflection provided just enough light to make out the shapes of deadheads lying between me and my goal as I suited up and headed down to the water. There was nobody in sight as I put my fins on and slipped below the surface.

Almost immediately I was rewarded for my efforts, as I found a bay pipefish laying in some sea lettuce in less than 10 feet of water ...

IMG_2159.jpg

Visibility wasn't as good as we've been experiencing lately ... perhaps 25-30 feet ... which is still excellent for lumpie hunting. I hit the eelgrass beds, made my way to the downslope edge, and slowly started kicking into a very mild current. About 5 minutes into the dive I was rewarded with my first sighting ... a fairly good size lumpie (maybe an inch long) sitting on a piece of eelgrass ... just waiting to have his picture taken.

IMG_2183.jpg

Over the course of the dive I found maybe a dozen or so ... many full-grown and some that were downright tiny. For some reason I was having difficulties with the focus on my camera when attempting to use the macro lens ... but here's a sampling of the best of the many shots I took during the course of a 65-minute dive.

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

As dawn approached and ambient light got to the point where I could see without use of my light, the sightings decreased dramatically. However, massive schools of shiner perch literally filled the water above me. I ended my dive around 7:45 ... as the classes started gearing up for what promises to be a gorgeous day to be out diving.

It was so nice, I think I'll go back tomorrow morning and do it again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Great pictures!

Went back this morning for seconds ... here's a few more from the reprise ...

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

... about two minutes before we ended the dive, this guy swam by ...

IMG_2299.jpg

... that's all, folks ...

IMG_2296.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I love the last picture, made me giggle :) Too cute!

Back
Top Bottom