Regulator Choice Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just the 2 I narrowed it down to - I like Sherwood, seem to make solid products.

Just the 2 I narrowed it down to - I like Sherwood, seem to make solid products.

Up until the SR-1, I would have agreeded with you. The older Sherwoods were rock solid but the SR-1 is one to avoid IMO. It has had problems from the start and is a grossly over engineered reg. It is full of custom parts unique to that reg so there is a good chance you will not be able to get parts soon after it goes out of production. There are a lot of great regs with time tested designs from several different brands that would be a better choice.

Sherwood Magnum and Maximus are good choices. I only know of one friend in my University program who uses the SR1. It's had a good track record for him, but there are other stories where the SR1 had a few minor problems that required manufacturer service.

People in my Uni program tend to steer towards the Magnum, because of it's small size
OR
The Maximus because of it's Angle Adapter and Adjustable second stage.

Both choices uses an enclosed Piston first stage and breath very nicely.
The Maximus also has 5 LP ports just like the SR1, although it's not on a swivel.

I have an SR1 and when it works it's great. I had some issues and it took a lot to get it to a point where I'm happy with it. I would check on the Sherwood forum found in the equip section. If you have any other questions I can answer feel free to send me a PM.

The older style Sherwoods--Brut, Magnum, Oasis, Blizzard, Maximus--are rock solid and tough as nails. The SR-1 not so much. The new style Brut is too new to have much of a track record, but may be ok. Genesis regs are amiong the least popular. There are many, many excellent regs out there from companies such as Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Oceanic, Atomic, Mares, etc. so I see no need to limit your selection to Sherwood/Genesis.

I don't like to go beyond your choices , but I have to do it this time :) Scubapro MK 17 with S600 second for cold water or MK11 with S600 second if you dive in warm water
Best Regards
Nomro

I heard the S600 had a bad rep for cold water. I only ever used one for a few dives in fairly temperate water (10C/50F) but went back to my 109s.

Frankly I use it in warm water and it's just great , an alternative would be G250 but it's a big large in size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom