Sublimnos diving bell going to waste

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was surprised to see the Sublimnos diving bell sitting outside Ducks dive this weekend as I drove by rusting away this is terrible as this bell plays an important role in canada's underwater exploration heritage and should be in a museum or given or sold to those persons who have the ability to restore it and place it in a Ontario based museum for all to see.

Stephen Weir Articles: Sublimnos - Muse for James Cameron

sublinomis.jpg

Interesting story, I would love to know more about how it went from sitting outside the Royal Ontario Museum to Ducks Dive.

That was answered in an article in the Canadian Diver Magazine a little while ago, I need to dig up the issue for the details. Apparently there is a dispute about who actually owns it, and therefore what can be done with it.

Diver Magazine | The longest-established scuba diving magazine in North America

At least it's not submerged and covered with zebra mussels like it was for a number of years. Agree that we should be more active about keeping Canadian (diving) history alive and well-known.

*edit* the text of the article Roastbeef links to was used in Diver Magazine, plus a lot of neat photos that are not on that site.

There is progress being made to restore Sublimnos & return it to Tobermory for display, thanks to the efforts of one of it's originators, and to the generosity of the folks @ Duck's.

Regards,
DSD

It certainly would be great to see it back up at Tobermory. It is a significant part of Canadian diving history.

I'd love to see it in the 1000 islands area just off shore and restored for all divers to enjoy and not held up for for ransom anymore.

When last I spoke with George Yankoo (many years ago now) I recollect he purchased the Sublimnos from a Storage Company. Apparently the storage account for the Sublimnos had fallen into arrears for so long that the ownership transfer clause in the storage agreement took effect, making the Storage Company the legal owner. After George bought the Sublimnos from the Storage Company, he sank it in about 40' of water on its side in Lake Ontario, just offshore of Ducks Dive at 5535 Long Point Road in Milford. There it sat for many years, gathering zebra mussels and slowly sinking deeper into the silt every year. Until someone who shall remain nameless decided that perhaps rusting away on the lake bottom was not a fitting way for this priceless piece of Canadian Maritime History to meet its end, so he led a team that raised it to surface using, of all things, a queen size inflatable air mattress :) If anybody knows where the Sublimnos is now, I would love to see it again. DeepSeaDan, if you're still around, can you please call me at 416-283-0467? Thank you!
Sublimnos.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom