HD100: weights for trim pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erisch

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a Hollis HD100 BC and the specs say the trim pockets on the back are for 5 lbs weights.
However, I can't seem to find a 5lbs weight which fits into these pockets.

The LDS I bought the BC from only had the square cloth weight bags. While it was possible to massage a 5lbs bag into the pocket, it took probably 10 minutes each to get it in and it would still stick out quite a bit. They told me I should try it with Seasoft weights, since they are more rectangular.
So I found another LDS which had Seasoft weights but the 5lbs don't fit either.

So now my question is what kind of 5lbs do I need to get which will actually fit into these pockets?

Thanks
erisch

I have had my HD100 for about 6mths and had the same question for my LDS. Hollis was contacted and they informed my LDS that only a 5lb soft weight will work. However, as you have already noted, it takes a lot of time and 'massaging' to get the weights into the trim pockets. I have purchased different brands of soft weights in both 5lb and 4lb. Even a 4lb soft weight has to be worked into the pocket. I have tried every angle to slide the weights in, and have failed to find an easy approach. The location of the pockets and their design make it necessary to put the weights in -before- you put the BCD on the tank.

HD100 trim pockets will not easily accomodate a 5lb weight. For me, it is not worth the hassel unless, after you get them in you plan to never take them out. As much as I like my HD100, the trim pockets were not designed properly for a 5lb weight. I invested quite a few dollars in additional weight that I really don't need trying to find the right combination and fit for a 5lb weight. If you are traveling and the charter only has hard weights, you will never get a 5lb hard weight into the pocket.

My resolve was to only use them as 4lb trim weight pockets. I have found a 4lb hard weight will slide in and out with minimum effort (must be a hard weights). The other option is I have 1lb and 3lbs soft weights which I can get in/out easily (remember, a 4lb soft weight doesn't fit any easier than a 5lb).

In summary, they are 4lb trim pockets - not 5lb.

Thanks for the info, at least I'm not the only one.

For now I have bought 2 2lbs soft weights per pocket, which fit in easily. The good thing is that the main weight pockets can actually hold more than the specified 10lbs each. However, the BC gets more rigid around the waist and doesn't fit as snug anymore (I'm pretty skinny) if you overstuff them so I tried to get more weight into the trim pockets.

I wonder if one could cast a 5lbs hard weight which would fit. The problem with available hard weights is that they always have the two slits for the belt which make them more bulky.

erisch

I am not familiar with the BCD, but can you thread 1# hard weights or weight pouches on a cam strap? I use 1# bullet type weights on my upper cam strap as well as soft weight pockets. I know 2# works, but if for some reason I feel I need to add more, I drop soft weights into the pouches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom