How comfortable are snorkel vests? Which one should I choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dagmar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I love snorkeling, and I am a good swimmer, but I want to buy a snorkel vest to feel more comfortable. The older I get, the more I am afraid of cramps, currents and the like. And I usually stay in the water for an hour or more, so it is essential for me that I can float without having to do anything myself actively. Until now I have used a PDF, and it worked fine, but when flying, my PDF is too heavy and bulky, given the restrictions for airplane luggage. That's why I intend to buy an inflatable snorkel vest. I suppose they are much lighter.

I have read a lot about these vests, and most users seem to be very happy with them, but some people also wrote that they are uncomfortable because they make the face come out a bit of the water. Is this true?

Other question: There are many different snorkel vests on the market. On the pictures they all look alike to me. But they differ in price, and maybe there are also other differences, like the size or the quality of the valve and the material?

I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some advice, so that I do not buy the wrong item.

Thanks in advance.
Dagmar

My personal preference is a wetsuit and a weight belt that can be dropped. That serves the purpose of making you unsinkable on the surface and provides emergency buoyancy to get you back on the surface. Besides, you can get pretty cold if you drift out to sea and are waiting for rescue.

I agree with Akimbo - A snorkle vest adds bulk and will waste more energy than a thin wetsuit and will give you steamlining and bouyancy. If you are a surface snorkler - forget the weightbelt. Also, a wetsuit is sunscreen 2000 :)

Snorkel vests are for non-swimmers or folks who are uncomfortable in water without a floatation aide.

@ Akimbo and diveprof:

Thanks for your advice. If I am not mistaken, you talk of something like a neoprene shorty?
That would be a good piece of outfit, I am sure, but it would present the same problem in my luggage as my PDF, when travelling by airplane: too heavy, too bulky.
I really need something light, let's say 10 oz maximum! From what I have learned until now, only snorkel vests are that light.

@ awap: Your are certainly right, but what about elder people who want to stay in the water for an hour or more? I am able to do this without floatation help, but it is so much more agreeable if I can rest on something from time to time. It is also great to have some kind of floatation device whenever it is necessary to take off the snorkel or the goggles (for example, when water has come in).

Then a snorkle vest may be the best way to go. I guess another option could be the use of a safety marker such as this:
Blue Reef Diver Below 6' Signal Tube
This is not intended to be a personal flotation devise, but does have signficant lift and is orally inflated. Carry it with you - inflate when needed.

@diveprof:
The signal tube you recommend seems to be a very good item if I want to be seen by boats. i think I will buy it.
You write: "Carry it with you - inflate when needed." Do you mean I should inflate it when I feel the need to rest a bit on something that is floating? So that the signal tube would make it unnecessary to buy a snorkel vest as well?

I am glad you also said something about the elevation of the face. You say it's only an issue when the vest is fully inflated. Is it unpleasant to snorkel in such a case? But I suppose one does not need to inflate fully?

Do you also happen to know whether there are differences in the various brands? They all look alike to me, but maybe some are larger and/or better, it would be good to know before buying.

@ awap: Your are certainly right, but what about elder people who want to stay in the water for an hour or more? I am able to do this without floatation help, but it is so much more agreeable if I can rest on something from time to time. It is also great to have some kind of floatation device whenever it is necessary to take off the snorkel or the goggles (for example, when water has come in).

Damn, I might be one of those "elder people".

My experience is that it takes no effort for me to just float with a mask and snorkel for hours, especially in salt water. But a little added flotation on demand may make it more comfortable for some. A friend's wife was a non-swimmer and quite afraid of the water. She had to be able to lift her head completely out of the water to be even a little comfortable. A Snorkel vest made all the difference for her.

@diveprof:
The signal tube you recommend seems to be a very good item if I want to be seen by boats. i think I will buy it.
You write: "Carry it with you - inflate when needed." Do you mean I should inflate it when I feel the need to rest a bit on something that is floating? So that the signal tube would make it unnecessary to buy a snorkel vest as well?

I am glad you also said something about the elevation of the face. You say it's only an issue when the vest is fully inflated. Is it unpleasant to snorkel in such a case? But I suppose one does not need to inflate fully?

Do you also happen to know whether there are differences in the various brands? They all look alike to me, but maybe some are larger and/or better, it would be good to know before buying.

The snorkle vest is my first recommendation given your weight constraints. This one is good.
Snorkel Vest - Wrap Around discounts on sale ScubaToys
I've found that this works for folks w/o putting their face high out of the water when snorkling. A dive mask gives you a degree of surface flotation. You may not need to fully inflate the vest.
As an alternative, you could inflate the tube when needed (could even put it under your arms) to chill out and rest a bit , then deflate and snorkle. If you want continuous surface flotation the vest is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom