Buying Equipment in a Military Base

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajay

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased or know anybody who has purchased scuba gear at a military base. How cheaper is it than an lds. Do they carry equipment from every manufacturer.

I do quite a bit of traveling around military bases and so far the only thing I have seen available at any of the Post Exchange outlets is the cheap snorkel mask fin kits.

I have never seen BCDs ...regs...tanks...yada yada. \

If anyone else has...pls let me know !!!

the affes website has some stuff but its fairly transient. see it today gone tomorrow. you can buy with a star card.

the bases with dive shops that i've been to where only a little cheaper than local. cheaper on trips also.

Coronado Amphib exchange has a complete dive shop. It is small and probably a better deal @ San Diego Divers Supply but they carry most everything you need just not a extensive selection. You have to be military to buy though.

The PX on Hickham AFB in Hawaii had a good selection of scuba gear. They were cheaper than LDS but not as cheap as leisurepro

I did all of gear purchases on base at Okinawa, and it was much cheaper than out in town. Now that I am in Hawaii, I find the base shops a little cheaper, but I still have sticker shock after what I was paying in Okinawa. Off base on Oki was still cheaper than on base in Hawaii!!!

If you travel much, and get a chance, try looking in Oki, or even at the local dive shops on Guam. Next to on-line, those are about the best prices I've seen anywhere.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
I do quite a bit of traveling around military bases and so far the only thing I have seen available at any of the Post Exchange outlets is the cheap snorkel mask fin kits.

I have never seen BCDs ...regs...tanks...yada yada. \

If anyone else has...pls let me know !!!
Shortly after sept 11 my army reserve unit was sent to FT. Lewis, WA for a few weeks to do all of our needed paperwork before we deployed. I had a chance to stop by the rec department and they had a pretty decent store with lots of scuba gear and even some tech gear to boot. I was rather impressed and if i remember right they had decent prices.

Some bases like "Big Navy" in Guam have full service dive shops. That particular base has a dive shop run by MDS and the prices are a bit less expensive than off base LDS.

I'm new at diving, but having spent almost 5 years total time on Okinawa, I'd like to throw my 2 cents in.

Okinawa has approximately 10 full-service military-owned dive shops. By full-service, I mean they do full rentals, they have extensive gear sales, custom-fittings for suits, charter services, gear service by qualified techs, etc.

As for prices, generally they are comparable to discount sites on all major brands. They usually have gear models from newly-released to two years old. Most of the employees are either non-military, or they are retirees that fell in love with the place. They don't work on commission, and they don't hard-sell anything. When I was buying my reg and BC, I told him I was a brand new diver, and looking for basic equipment. That's what I got, and while it wasn't the cheapest stuff in the place, it was below the mid-range mark.

Something unique about the dive shops that I just found out yesterday. There are two or three big sales each year. The way they run sales is like this:

The regional AAFES manager (most likely someone based out of Hawaii) calls the store and says, "Hey, y'all need to have a sale next week. Pick out what you want to put on sale." Talking with the manager of the store at the base on which I'm stationed, he asked me and my dive buddy, "So, if you wanted to buy some gear cheap, what would you like to see on sale?" My dive buddy hasn't bought his gear yet, so he pointed out EVERYTHING he needs to get. Regular price for everything would be in the vicinity of $1000 (BC, reg, octo, computer console). The manager told him that if he waits, he'll make sure he doesn't pay more than $600!

Finally, something about military exchanges. The whole concept behind a military exchange is to get goods to troops where they need them. In wartime, this is getting hygiene products to the frontlines, no matter what condition. In peacetime, this means operating the exchanges on a network basis. If, say, an exchange in Okinawa has the regulator you need, but you're in Hawaii, you can call the exchange in Oki, pay for it over the phone to lock in the price (because, yes, some exchanges will mark up stuff), and have it delivered for FREE to the exchange in Hawaii.

If anyone is interested in the numbers for the military dive shops in Oki, let me know. Or, you can Google "Tsunami Gear", "Kadena Marina", or "Torii Scuba Locker", and that should get you the info.

Back
Top Bottom