Talcott Shoal was sweet 30 OCT 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After some trials and tribulations (Car broke down while on the way to Mr. C last week, and got a massive headache on Saturday 29 OCT/missing out Spectre), I determined to make it to the Peace boat for the Talcott Shoal trip on Sunday - my official back-to-SoCal outing.

The trip out was pretty decent. No chops, no wind but there were some slow, heavy rolls.

The first dive site was at Egg Rock and it was spectacular: viz around 60-ft if not more, no current, no surge, easy diving. Temp at 80-ft was 53-F, I had a half-hood on and I was fine. Gorgeous topography with lots of fat perches running around. Many nudies: noble dorids, white spot dorids, spanish shawls. Some of the noble dorids were like 3" or 4" big. Lots of sunstars too.

Second dive was at Talcott Shoal. Viz was around 15-ft at best, with some minor surges and temp was about 57-F. Nobody even saw a lobster of any size, much less catching anything. I saw more nudies of the same types and also for my first time, saw a Caldina - several Caldinas in fact and one of them was under a ledge and I swear that it was about close to 5" long. I put my fingers next to it for measurement and it was huge. Saw a lingcod that was about 1.5-ft long. Lots of clouds of baby fishies.

Sat out the third dive because of ripping current.

Fourth dive was at Santa Cruz's Del Mar Cave, Viz was quite good there ranging from 20-ft to 40-ft depending on where we were at. Surges were the same, bad at some spots and non-existent at the other spot. We swam into a large cavern and saw a nice 6" crab (don't know what kind) hiding between the rocks, lots of white anemonies and I saw a big lingcod that was probably game size (I shooed it away, the hunters had enough game harvested for the day). Saw a large octopus (head was about 3") in a crevice too. Once again, the sea lemon nudies were everywhere ranging from 1/4" to 3". Spanish shawls were small though, 1/4" to 1/2" at most. Saw an all white nudie that I need to figure out what it is.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a good trip overall. How was it joining the Ocean Safari group?

I like going out with the Ocean Safari shop. Gabe the owner is almost always on the trip and makes sure that everybody is taken care of and having a good time.

Back
Top Bottom