Putting the wetsuit & BCD in mothballs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pixelpixie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
No, not really, but with a foot of snow Saturday, I figure diving season is over for me for this year unless I can escape to somewhere warm. So I was wondering what the SOP or your best/tried & true tips are to store gear for several months?

Put it in the closet! Seriously the are no winterizing requirements. Just make sure the gear is rinsed well, and put it where ever. Make sure your BC does not have a pool of saltwater inside, or a salt reserve. I use a large rubbermaid and a closet for storage.

I wash all my lighter 5mm and under gear in wetsuit shampoo and mirazyme, dry well and stick it in a tote. I switch to 6.5mm and heavier for my winter dives until the waters warm up to about 60* F in the spring. I then do the same for my 6.5mm and heavier when I start wearing the lighter suits. Storing even damp gear is asking for mold formation. I also leave the top on my totes cracked open a hair.

Send it to me. I'll take it to the bottom of the sea :wink:

But really store it in a place where there's
- a low chance of big temperature fluctuations
- Near room temp (60F-80F)
- Away from chemicals or car fumes
- Away from cats
- Make sure all gear is bone dry
- Keeping the area ventilated isn't too harmful either (ie. a closet that opens daily)

Some samples are your house closet, game garage, in a rubbermaid box etc
Depending where I live, sometimes I'll put my stuff in an 24gal Action Packer and leave it in the car garage all sealed up and dry. My BC and wetsuit however go in my closet. My regulator and computer are in bags of their own, which are then placed inside the Action Packer.

As long as you aren't running your car in the garage or trapping chemical fumes it should be alright for your gear to be sealed up in the same area. Provided you follow the above guidelines.
If your garage gets cold and damp in the mornings then it's probably not the best place for gear storage.

I would add to g1138 that regulators be in a zipped and secure reg bag. I store all my accessories and masks and snorkels, and fins in sealed containers after a long period of drying out after washing. BC's and exposure suits hank in a cool, dry room with no direct sun exposure. There is a book out there titled "There's a Cockroach in my regulator." Hence the air tight, or at least cockroach (and dust) tight approach I use. Some of our gear is 10 years old and still in great shape. Lastly, remember to have you gear checked out after a long period of storage.
DivemasterDennis

One additional item re: wetsuits; the material has a tendency to break down on creases or where the hangers support the suit. I recommend that you roll up the wetsuit, as opposed to folding/hanging the wetsuit. If you choose to hang the wetsuit, use a wide hanger to distribute the stress over a larger area.

Ok, I admit it. I have issues with spiders. One scared the whatever out of me when I was about 5 yrs old (playing hide and seek at uncles farm. Peeked over a rock and was about 3 inches from tarantula which was also scared and reared up so I could see it's fangs. I promptly killed it and about every spider I've seen since then. I know they kill pests, I don't care, I've got issues). I look at a reg and see places where spiders could sneak in and wait for me. I make sure after rig is rinsed thoroughly and dried I wrap plastic wrap around the holes in bc and reg. I sleep much better at night. :<)

I only ensure that wetsuit is dry then hang it in a closet, then I ensure I hook up the inflation hose before I dive the drysuit. I like the cold water diving..guess I am sick.

One additional item re: wetsuits; the material has a tendency to break down on creases or where the hangers support the suit. I recommend that you roll up the wetsuit, as opposed to folding/hanging the wetsuit. If you choose to hang the wetsuit, use a wide hanger to distribute the stress over a larger area.
wow- hadn't thought of that. thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom