Lube for Octo to First Stage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short answer: No. Any lube is fine, no lube is also fine.

For first stage to hose connections and second stage to hose connections only a little bit of lube is necessary.

They are static orings, so you only need to thinly coat the oring, to keep the oring from drying out (unlikely for new orings). Some divers don't lube static orings at all, it's a personal choice.

In general you only need to O2 clean pieces of equipment that can be exposed to concentrations of O2 higher then 40%. This calls for O2 clean lube and Viton Orings.

For regulators that are using Nitrox lower than 40% you don't need to O2 clean them. Tanks are a different story because some shops blend nitrox in your tank, meaning the tank can be exposed to 100% O2.

is Vaseline good?

I didn't want to buy christo-lube because I only needed very little and that stuff is more expensive than gold. Silicone is cheap, I don't mind using that at all.

is Vaseline good?
It depends on the material composition of the o-ring you're trying to lube.

Nitrile/BunaN and Viton (fluorocarbon elastomer) demonstrate good resistance to petroleum-containing substances.
EPDM does not have good resistance to petroleum-containing substances.
O-rings made of all three materials are used in scuba applications.
FYI, Viton and EPDM o-rings are considered "oxygen-compatible."

Personally, I wouldn't let any petroleum-containing substance, e.g., Vaseline, near my regs since many reg manufacturers use EPDM o-rings.
The OP should just buy a small tub of silicone grease which works well with Nitrile/BunaN, EPDM, and Viton o-rings.
For breathing gases containing >40% oxygen, use Christolube or Tribolube 71 in combination with o-rings made of EPDM or Viton.

is Vaseline good?

I'd stay away from petroleum based lubes, they might eat away at your oring. Just stick with food-grade silicone lube and any other lube that's marketed to scuba products.

Spit is best

Years back I bought a "single" use pack of trilolube for about $5. I stuck a toothpick in it to close it up and put it in a sandwich bag in my save a dive kit. I can probably lube 1000 orings with what is in that single use pack you need such a small amount. It is expensive, but you don't need to buy a lot.

If you follow OBXguys link, they sell the little pack I have for $3.50.

I use christolube for all my dive gear except my camera. There I use the tube that came from Ikelite...should last about a nother hundred years.

Back
Top Bottom