Lionfish ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reck Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing an explosion of the Lionfish population on the reefs off of Palm Beach and Broward. Yes, I see them around, sometimes a few, sometimes none but never more that a dozen (anywhere out from shore to 100 ft.) on any one dive. Meanwhile I am seeing more Gags and Black Grouper than ever and the reefs seem alive and healthy with clouds of baitfish, grunts, snapper and the usual fish populating the reef. And they sure don't seem to affecting the lobster population as all the reports I hear are this is the best season many have seen (including a couple of local commercial guys).

Does anyone know if there is credible science being done (or already published) on what exactly is going on with lionfish numbers in South Florida?

It depends on where you dive.

For example on some of the more dove spots in Jupiter we have been seeing less because divers are hunting them. However, some spots that we frequent less there is a significant amount of them. On some of the lobster spots I have been on there are lion fish everywhere. They occupy holes that lobsters would normally hide out in. I have watched them attack juveniles.

If you have been to the Bahamas lately they saturate the reefs and hardly anyone kills them over there. I feel it is because they look cool and tourists like to see cool stuff.

REEF is your best bet to ask about numbers and the lion fish impact on the reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom