new boots.. floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griff..

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
So last week my boots had many holes in so I decided to purchase a new pair..

I bought some fourth element boots, (the thick ones) can't remember the exact name..

anyway I jumped in the pool today and I have always been cursed with heavy feet and had to work hard to keep my feet up, and they just floated! In this particular case it was rather annoying since I had students and couldnt physically kneel down!

Just wondered if anyone could shed light on this, I put it down to the fact they were thicker, and something about the design of the thick soles.

(they are wet boots by the way)

Simple enough. Old boots with holes or tears have damaged 'cells' and over time the compression of the neoprene from diving will make them less buoyant.
Now bring in spanking new boots and they will be more buoyant. No damaged cells, little time being compressed.
Go from a 3mm boot to a 5, 6 or 7mm or a different style (carrib to cold water) and you add neoprene so you increase buoyancy.

Another option is to not kneel.

Simple enough. Old boots with holes or tears have damaged 'cells' and over time the compression of the neoprene from diving will make them less buoyant.
Now bring in spanking new boots and they will be more buoyant. No damaged cells, little time being compressed.
Go from a 3mm boot to a 5, 6 or 7mm or a different style (carrib to cold water) and you add neoprene so you increase buoyancy.

Another option is to not kneel.

I knew someone would say that.. kinda hard to just not be able to get vertical though, Although I am very chuffed with this for my pleasure/tech diving..

I bought a thinner pair of scubapro 3m boots today and will see how they go tomorrow, otherwise I may have to just put weights in my rear trim pockets..

The boots are floaty in the pool, but below 10m thick boots are pretty good. When I dive shallow I wear 500g ankle weights to compensate.

I was convinced it was the boots! we shall see tomorrow with the new ones.. as I say, if not, rear trim pockets should hopefully pull me back a bit so I can kneel

I had this problem in my open water class, and to resolve the issue in the shallow water, I just sat on my feet!

I've got a pair of the hard soled Fourth Element Amphibian boots. Haven't noticed them being floaty. I dive relatively heavy Hollis Bat Fins. Have to say the combination is great for finning. These boots are 6.5mm, and quite warm. Feet stay unbelievably comfortable in the water. Out of the water they're very sturdy and provide great support.

I'd like to know what the change does for you. I have 3 mils, negative fins and my feet sink. I may try these!!

I'm a thick as they make kinda guy. I hate cold feet. I always dive 7mm boots (sometimes with 3mm socks). Floaty fins may make it a bit more of a challenge in shallow pools with students doing skills. IF this is an issue for you do what I do - thin boots for the pool and as thick as they make'em for ow. :) I like twin jets and orignial jetfins - negative.

Back
Top Bottom