Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSnyder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent dive boat in Key Largo?

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent dive boat in Key Largo?

Follow the link to find a similar thread, I've pasted my response below.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...y-largo-very-experienced-divers-mid-week.html

You don't have to fill a dive boat if you dive with Key Largo Dive Center. I was in Key Largo week in July and tried Key Largo Dive Center, they were the fifth op I've used in Key Largo, and I have to say they were my favorite.

They have a huge six-pack, the first two divers to book the boat call the site, the staff and captain are all super nice, and they'll run the trip with just two. BIG PLUS - if you know what you are doing and have a plan (and can go over it), they WILL do a double dip wreck dive in the afternoon (we double-dipped Spiegel Grove and the Duane-Bibb). This is not something you can find with all the ops.

The six packs are my personal preference, I'm really not a fan of the bigger boats, so that should be taken into consideration. But I'd highly recommend Key Largo Dive Center.

I dove Key Largo three weeks ago and dove with Ocean Divers. They were nice folks and I really liked their boats, big with plenty of room to move around. I have never dove with anyone else down there so I don't have anything to compare them too. Oh yeah, they had some steel nitrox tanks which I thought was pretty good although I brought my steel tanks.

I have done a ton of diving with Quiescence over the last 7 years and had a blast. Small 6-pack boats, great folks.

It really depends on what you are looking for. As mentioned before - bad ops typically wouldn't last long in the Keys as there are several good ones to choose from.

I personally like a smaller 6-pack myself and highly recommend HMS Minnow in Key Largo at MM 100. Depending on the time of year/sea conditions, you may prefer a larger boat if conditions are rough. Sea Dwellers is next to the Minnow and Conch Republic in Tavernier (~10 miles south)runs a really good op as well.

Where are you staying? I bet there is agood one near by. Let us know and we can make suggestions for you.

I dove Key Largo three weeks ago and dove with Ocean Divers. They were nice folks and I really liked their boats, big with plenty of room to move around. I have never dove with anyone else down there so I don't have anything to compare them too. Oh yeah, they had some steel nitrox tanks which I thought was pretty good although I brought my steel tanks.

I have many dives with them. They will go out whenever the conditions allow, I've never lost a dive but have changed locations a few times because of conditions. They will take out their large Newtons with as few as 2 divers, guaranteed. I have dived the Duane several times on Sunday afternoon with just 2 divers. Small boats are fine but a large, stable boat with a head is great under less than optimal conditions. Extremely reliable transportation to some excellent diving and nice, competent captains and mates to boot.

Good diving, Craig

I have many dives with them. They will go out whenever the conditions allow, I've never lost a dive but have changed locations a few times because of conditions. They will take out their large Newtons with as few as 2 divers, guaranteed. I have dived the Duane several times on Sunday afternoon with just 2 divers. Small boats are fine but a large, stable boat with a head is great under less than optimal conditions. Extremely reliable transportation to some excellent diving and nice, competent captains and mates to boot.

Good diving, Craig

Boats not going out due to weather can be an issue in the winter months...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom