Tooth Cavity and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

i noticed a black dot on my tooth which to me looks like a hole. it is not really that big and i am wondering whether or not to go to the dentist. the reason that i am worried about going the dentist is that 1) my dentist doesnt have a clue about scuba diving and pressure, and 2) if it was a hole and needed filling she may possibly leave a small air space in my tooth under the filling which would cause a squeeze in my tooth with the effect of pressure.

i was wondering if i left it and just dived. would it cause a problem since that the air in the hole isnt realy trapped because it could just escape through the opening of the hole if i diddn't get it filled?

i appreciate your time and answers/suggestions thanks very much
Craig Thomas Chamberlain

Unless they are a terrible dentist and don't know how to do their job you have nothing to worry about. I have countless filling and even an implanted tooth and aboslutely no problems.

Don't stress it

Well, the problem with not getting it filled is that they inexorably get bigger, and eventually get into the root. At that point, you can develop an abscess or bone infection or other rather nasty things.

When they drill out the decayed tooth, they have to be careful to get all the dead stuff, and to fill the hole thoroughly with amalgam or whatever they are using. A good filling will not have air beneath it. I have never had any trouble with mine.

thanks for your time,
so if i was not to get it filled just yet and dived i would not have a problem diving?

Probably not, but why not fix your teeth? You only have one set and they are cheaper to fix when the holes are small. I wish someone would have given me better advice when I was young. I'd have saved thousands of dollars and wouldn't set off metal detectors in airports.

Should this be in the DIY section

P1010708.jpg

Psst. I work for cash in a not necessarily sterile environment
Cracked a sternum with my knee once don't tell anyone shhh

If you've got a small hole and are going diving right away I've used some tooth cement you can buy at your local druggist. I just clean the tooth, dry it and fill it. In short - a temporary fill. Then go see your dentist - but don't wait too long.

thats great thankyou very much for your help and time i really appreciate it!
thats what i thourght - i can understand that if u have a filling with a small amount of air left in the tooth causing problems because it can not escape apart from through the tooth ut if there is a small hole in the tooth it can easily escape - is this correct?
thanks

Dude, they invented all those stories
when fillings were comprised mercury
and displaced through chewing and
further decay

Back
Top Bottom