Underwater Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmmike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Question, I was asst. on a training dive with a student who was wearing mittins in place of gloves, when it came time to ask him to signal me with how much air pressure he had in his tank he could not because the mittens covered his fingers. So my questions is, does anybody have any hints on how to signal air pressure underwater when wearing mittins in place of gloves??

As always your thoughts are welcome.

Ah, how about, look at his SPG...? Here's the signal: he shoves it in your face.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
...Here's the signal: he shoves it in your face.
Very subtle Rick :D :D

Donchya love simple solutions?

Rocket scientists are popping up every where!

A hand is still a hand.

He can give the usual open hand signal for "5"s.

4 hands = 2000 +
3 hands = 1500 +
2 hands = 1000 +
Thumb up = 500 +

theskull

theskull,

Thanks, its a great idea and it builds off a skill (method) that they already have been shown. It is also simple enough that it can be reviewed before the dive and not add any stress.

I'm sure I'll be using this again as the water temp continues to drop and basic open water check outs continue.

Thanks again
dmmike

dmmike once bubbled...
theskull,

Thanks, its a great idea and it builds off a skill (method) that they already have been shown. It is also simple enough that it can be reviewed before the dive and not add any stress.

I'm sure I'll be using this again as the water temp continues to drop and basic open water check outs continue.

Thanks again
dmmike

You can keep it short and sweet with these two signs:

Make a "T" with both hands for 1500 psi

Alternatively, if you use the T for something else you can make an upturned palm and "cut" it 1/2 with the other hand.

Make a "closed fist" (sort of like a high-5 but with a closed hand) to indicate 750 psi.

Anything in between is with counting. So 2500 would be "T" Plus "5" "5" (for the extra thousand).

R..

dmmike once bubbled...
So my questions is, does anybody have any hints on how to signal air pressure underwater when wearing mittins in place of gloves??

Simple... lose the mittens and get gloves.

cornfed once bubbled...

Simple... lose the mittens and get gloves.
Some people like mittens...

As a matter of fact, I have dove with a mitten wearer myself...he uses an open hand for 5s, the big part of the mitten for 3s, and the little part for 1s

So....full mitten + full mitten + big part of mitten + little part of mitten = 1400 psi

This is probably something you should review before hitting the water though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom