Jupiter Lemon Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve P

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm making my annual trip to visit family and dive with my brother next weekend.

While I always enjoy the diving (its a nice change from midwest quarries & Lake Michigan wrecks)
I have yet to see any Lemon sharks. I've heard they start to arrive in the area in November to mate. Is this correct?
If so, is it too early, or do we stand a decent chance of seeing any?

We saw a few a week ago in west palm, but they were skittish. It is kinda early I think... Then again the ocean is totally tore up right now with big swells, this tends to move the fish around and change things.

A bit early I would say. They start coming in numbers more towards the end of the month. I guess they come in for the holidays and follow the snow birds. LOL

I wish I had a little more notice - I could have blown up to lifesize some shots I have of the Jupiter lemons and have swum them around you. Hey, you could take these shots and set up a Lemon Shark Dive concession off the Navy Pier up there in Chicago. The water is murky enough that no one will really be able to tell real sharks from a lifelike photo, plus every now and then you can jab the divers from behind with a boxing glove on the end of a long stick so they can clear their bowels.
Shark diving plus all that great food up there. Plus the Bears.
People have become the mayor of Chicago for a LOT less than this.

I would reccommend that you give Randy Jordan a call at Emerald Charters in Jupiter.
If they are here (and it is a little early), he will know where they are.
Chug
Likes three tankers 'cause it means more time to kill Lion Fish.

There were some on the Zion Train last week however the real fun starts in a few weeks.

Jupiter Dive Center also sponsors some Lemon Shark specific dives once the beasts arrive. You can call them to find out the timing, but if I recall correctly from last year, you'll be here a bit too early

so when is the best time to go look for them? i think someone a while back told me December to mid. January, any one know for sure?? Im dieing to see some.

January and February are your best bet.
You also get a better crack at the Bulls then also.
Chug
Hates Bulls........
But doesn't want 'em dead or anything stupid like that.

Thought it may be a bit early but, I've never been dissapointed after a Jupiter dive. Definately the biggest grouper & turtles that I've ever seen.

BTW .. Tom, for your info,vis in Lake Michigan has improved considerably in the 30 years I've been diving there thanks to those pesky little Zebra Mussels. I know you're happy for me.:D Unfortunately the mussels haven't raised water temps any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom