Interesting shark attack stats!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this post, and if not, the moderators can move it to its best location. I could not find this link in the search function so if it is redundant, I apologize.

There have been a lot of stories in the news recently concerning shark attacks, both on surfers and divers. I found this website has some pretty interesting and comprehensive stats on shark attacks on water activities, with a section devoted to attacks on divers.
I found the stats interesting.

FLMNH Ichthyology Department: International Shark Attack File Statistics of Shark Attacks

Scuba has a much higher probability of killing you vs. a Shark attack. This is hardly a new stat, but its always interesting seeing them. I've seen bulls and despite the facts, I do not like seeing bulls.

For those that do not want to open a few links, there are 11 shark deaths annually world wide in the past decade, so not many. We have not seen that many in most years. You are much more likely to be hit by a speeding train! :D

For whatever reason there quite a few deaths (50+) in the 30's.

I too realize a diver is more likely to die in a car accident, lightning strike, etc., than a shark attack. However, I found the supporting data concerning other factors such as where, when, gear configuration, activity, locational relationship to other divers, etc., to be of greater interest to me than just the raw numbers. I also realize that some of the data is supported by common sense based on when and where divers typically operate, but I still found it worth the read.

Shark attacks on divers over time in the USA is less than 50. That's attacks not deaths. Attacks worldwide is just over 200 for the timespan. Granted diving was non existent as we know it until 1943. Kinda silly they list this from 1820-2010 but that is how its done. Likely scuba divers were very limited into the 1970's. Even now we pale next to the number of folks who swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom