Just a Few Side Mount Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wondering what the proper length of the leash should be? My leash I have on the valves is only a few inches long, I didn’t think it would matter how long the leash on the valve was after I attach the loop bungee, am I wrong? The leash on the cam band is 4in, it seems to be ok but I cant really tell, I am working on getting a camera so I can see myself.

Also I am using HOG D1 first stages and I have a 15in hose for my drysuit. I have routed it out of the top and out of the bottom of the first stages but it just seems to always be in the way. I thought about getting a short 6-8 in hose and rout it straight out of the 5th LP port but I think it may push the valve away from me. Any suggestions.

Do you rout your SPG's down toward the cylinder or up toward your face? I am using 6in HP hoses and I have been routing my SPG's up so I can just glance down and monitor them but whenever I swing the butt of the cylinder out in front of my the SPG tends to get in the way.

If I am using loop bungees and I swing the tank/tanks out in front of me should I have to remove the bungee first?

Thanks

I was wondering what the proper length of the leash should be? My leash I have on the valves is only a few inches long, I didn’t think it would matter how long the leash on the valve was after I attach the loop bungee, am I wrong? The leash on the cam band is 4in, it seems to be ok but I cant really tell, I am working on getting a camera so I can see myself.

It's individual. The length of your leash depends on how your cylinders hang on you in the water. The valve leash doesn't matter, it's only there for redundancy.

Also I am using HOG D1 first stages and I have a 15in hose for my drysuit. I have routed it out of the top and out of the bottom of the first stages but it just seems to always be in the way. I thought about getting a short 6-8 in hose and rout it straight out of the 5th LP port but I think it may push the valve away from me. Any suggestions.

I would avoid using the 5th port. I've had students try this and it has never ended up working so far. You need a shorter hose. Length is dependent on you. Again, can't give you a definitive number. There is none that will work for everyone.

Do you rout your SPG's down toward the cylinder or up toward your face? I am using 6in HP hoses and I have been routing my SPG's up so I can just glance down and monitor them but whenever I swing the butt of the cylinder out in front of my the SPG tends to get in the way.

It's a matter of personal preference. I've tried it with them in every direction. I've settled on having them point up but that's just because that's where I like them for me. I also face my valves toward me so the 1st stages are protected and that makes a difference on where you point the SPGs.

If I am using loop bungees and I swing the tank/tanks out in front of me should I have to remove the bungee first?

No.

FWIW - Spatman found a place that sells hose ends that make customizing hose lengths really simple. When he placed an order I asked him to pick up a couple for me. I've shortened the length of both my 2nd stage and inflator hoses on the left side reg, and they work really well.

Maybe he can chime in here and let you know where he got 'em ... takes about a minute to customize a hose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW - Spatman found a place that sells hose ends that make customizing hose lengths really simple. When he placed an order I asked him to pick up a couple for me. I've shortened the length of both my 2nd stage and inflator hoses on the left side reg, and they work really well.

I ordered the LP hose fittings from here:
Silent Diving Direct

Well worth the investment, and like Bob said, extremely simple to use. I would recommend calling to place the order. The shipping charges calculated by their online system were pretty ridiculous (at least in my experience).

Also, if I were have to start over with tank placement and hose lengths, I would get the tanks in trim first, then adjust hose lengths. I found a couple instances of a hose being too short or routed poorly affecting the way the tanks rested. Err on the side of loose hose lengths first.

My 2psi.

I will comment on the leash. What I have found is when I use steel tanks I use the larger bolt snaps (4 1/2 inch) and about 3 inch lease and attach them to the but plate which allows then to hang down and trim out nicely. When I use AL80 I use smaller bolt snap (3 1/2 inch) and almost no leash and that keeps the tanks in close when clipped to the back or forward d-ring.

The SPG I have recently been pointing them forward but for no good reason other than laziness, quicker and easier to read.

I ordered the LP hose fittings from here:
Silent Diving Direct

Well worth the investment, and like Bob said, extremely simple to use. I would recommend calling to place the order. The shipping charges calculated by their online system were pretty ridiculous (at least in my experience).

Also, if I were have to start over with tank placement and hose lengths, I would get the tanks in trim first, then adjust hose lengths. I found a couple instances of a hose being too short or routed poorly affecting the way the tanks rested. Err on the side of loose hose lengths first.

My 2psi.

I got some of these too. Not cheap, but so worth it, especially if you already have some hoses you need to shorten. I was a little skeptical, so I used an old hose that I wouldn't dive anyway first. I lifted an HP 130 off the ground by the hose. It's not coming out of there.

I like mine to go down to about the second band. The long leash makes it easy to grab tanks and slam them into your d-rings so you can swim off out of the way and tidy up. I like the longer leash so when I take off a tank I can easily sweep down my body and make sure all the hoses are disconnected and it lets me easily dangle the heavy steels below me and glance to make sure they are tidy before handing them off.

I sidemount zeagles and use pivot swivels when diving dry. I had a person tell me Zeagle was not good for side mount, but I prefer the small flathead7's and everything routes nicely.

I use mK 17s and route the SPG up on a 6" hose. I angle the first stage slightly on the valve and adjust the tank in the lower band so that the SP angles up and across my chest. When in the water, both will then lie flat against my chest near the chest strap. It keeps them from digging in in low areas of cave. I have not noted any problems swinging the tanks forward - the SPG just sweeps down along my chest and behind/below the arm pit.

When diving AL 80s I need to roll the tanks a bit farther inboard in the bands compared to steel tanks as they roll outboard slightly at the end of the dive when they get light in the tails.

On stage bottles, I use a 6" or 9" hose and route them down along the tank and then bend them forward to read them.

Back
Top Bottom