Double tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering buying doubles. I am just wondering if faber makes good tanks for doubles. I tend to only see Worthington tanks set up as doubles. What are any cons to fabers as doubles?

thanks

I am considering buying doubles. I am just wondering if faber makes good tanks for doubles. I tend to only see Worthington tanks set up as doubles. What are any cons to fabers as doubles?

thanks

Maker is much less important than size / weight / capacity. I have faber, PST, Luxfer, Norris cylinders doubled. They all work fine.

Tobin

What Tobin said.

For example, in Europe you'll mainly see either Faber or ECS tanks, with ECS being on the heavier side for the same capacity.

Any brand or size will work, just make sure it fits all your requirements.

Some of the Faber's are very negative when empty. They don't make good doubles.

Some of the Faber's are not very negative when empty. They make good doubles.​

I must have the Faber's that are not very negative when empty, because they are a great set of doubles (LP85s). I also have double PST 120s, very nice set especially if you are tall.

You can't make a decision based on manufacturer. You need to look at specific tanks in the light of your needs and your physique. With "look" I mean "try before you buy".

A good starting point are the spec tables here and here. But be aware that numbers are just numbers and in the water "feel" matters more. (I say this as an engineer, who in most other cases trusts numbers)

As TS&M pointed out the MP fabers (stamped 3180+ for a 3500 final fill pressure) can be *very* negative, on the order of 6-7 lbs negative each. These are a poor choice for doubles. In addition the 7/8 necks limit the choices in manifolds.

The LP fabers (2400+ for 2640 final fill) and the "HP" fabers (3442 psi) are much less negative, and have standard 3/4 necks.

Tobin

Upton, get what ever twins you can get your hands on, Knowing how to dive all doubles is what will make you an experience diver, you don't empty your doubles on a dive anyways, if your trying to get two dives on them to drain them down it is pointless to have them on those dives.

I have all faber's double up and can dive them perfect, I have worthington's, PST, Heiser's now those boy's are heavy, but you can pump them up to 6,500 just hard on regs, 5,200 is all you need in them for Deep Dives.

Get some ALtwins also they are lighter so more weight on belt.

Doubles are cheap when used, $400 for most sets, most buy new and they never figure how to dive them and sell. learn to dive any thing you buy on a deal and you will come out ahead and will be a more experienced diver cause of it.

Faber is the least to rust tanks I own, although my favorite is PST and I PST single tank mostly, except my 95 faber 2400 gives me plenty of gas at 4000 psi and the little faber 80 3000 filled to 4000 is great for deep spearfising.

Upton have a great time and enjoy all the gas you will ever need on a dive and watch your deco as more gas is way to get into trouble. just dive your plan.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom