Morro Bay North T-Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was only our second trip to Morro Bay, but it already feels like home. The North T-Pier harbors an amazing array of marine life, including a seasonal parade of dozens (I think it’s fair to say) of species of nudibranch. Ken Bondy and Gary Powell have been diving, photographing, and documenting the marine life of Morro Bay for over 20 years. Their outstanding website captures the magic of the T-Pier and provides info about diving there: Morro Bay Underwater Home Page

Kevin Lee drove up in the middle of the night to join us for an early morning dive and get a crack at this fabled nudi site. Timing is everything here. As tide funnels through the bay, impressive, even ripping current restricts diving to a short interval at high tide.

Kevin.jpg

Kevingear.jpg

Each day, Kevin made 2-hour-plus dives and found a greater variety of marine species than Phil and I put together. Moreover, Phil dubbed Kevin “Nudi Master”, and he really is, finding 17 different species of nudi, 3 of which were new to him! Check out the T-shirt. Kevin's photos from the trip: Latest SoCal Dives - Kevin Lee's Photos | SmugMug

Kevindinner.jpg

My impression is that the uncommon is common at the North T-Pier. One night, we watched commercial fisherman hauling in nets full of hagfish that they trapped at 300 fsw using pig head bait. The hagfish were bound for Korea, as live fish product.

Hagfishnet.jpg

Hagfishtank.jpg

According to Milton Love’s “Certainly More Than You Want to Know About The Fishes of The Pacific Coast. A Postmodern Experience”, this is one cool eel-like fish. They’re blind, with neither jaws nor vertebrae. That stringy goop is a mucous-like slime that hagfish produce when agitated. One set of glands produces the mucous and another set of glands produce microfilaments that transform the mucous into a more elastic substance. Why produce slime? It’s been proposed that the slime may serve to impair the gills of predator fish. Fishermen rake it out of the tanks by the handfuls.

Hagfishslime.jpg

Besides low vis, the first thing that struck me about diving under the pier was the number of bivalves. Clams everywhere, opening and closing their siphons to beat the band.

Pacific Gaper Clam, Tresus nuttalli
PacificGaperClam800DSC_0149.jpg

I would not be exaggerating if I were to say that nudibranchs were as thick as flies - sometimes bumping into each other. Phil and Kevin occasionally got two uncommon-down-here species in the same frame.

Janolus barbarensis
and Hermissenda crassicornis
Janolus800DSC_0179.jpg

Acanthodoris lutea is common there.
Acanthodorislutea800DSC_0191.jpg

Acanthodorislutea800DSC_0260.jpg

Aeolidia papillosa feeds on anemones.
Aeolidiapapillosa800DSC_0216.jpg

littleanemone800DSC_0237.jpg

Both color variants of Polycera atra were present, some laying eggs.
Polyceraatra800DSC_0177.jpg

Polyceraatraeggs800DSC_0253.jpg

Polyceraatra800DSC_0194.jpg

Polycera hedgpethi
Polycerahedgpethi800DSC_0242.jpg

This approx. 5” fish was buried under sand before I disturbed it. Clinton Bauder kindly ID’d it as a Pacific staghorn sculpin, Leptocottus armatus. This fish fooled me! I didn’t recognize it in the fish ID book because it can change color/markings to blend in with the substrate.

IDthisfishDSC_0240.jpg

This is an invertebrate-lovers paradise. Bryozoans abound in spectacular array, both in chunks on the seafloor and on the pilings. Totally cool and intriguing amphipod species appear in nearly every bryozoan photo, but they’re too small to resolve with a 60mm lens.

Kevin found this small, cryptic nudi, Adalaria jannae, which blends in perfectly with its Membranipora bryozoan food source. Not only are there 3 of them in this photo, but so are their eggs. Bonanza!

Adalariajannaelong800DSC_0222-1.jpg

Adalariajannae800DSC_0221-1.jpg

A closer look at the two Adalaria jannae.

Adalariajannaecrop800DSC_0220-1.jpg

We could spend a week diving here, but I’m not sure if that would be enough time.
Kevin3.jpg

Okay, on my bucket list is to come down and meet you guys there and do some serious slug hunting!

Awesome report! The first Polycera atra needs to be matted and put on the wall. Excellent pose, color variety and framing! Really dig the Pacific Gaper Clam as well.

I can see a jaunt up the 101 in my near future:D

Back
Top Bottom