Scubapro and parts for life questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrohnaMO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was told that Scubapro will no longer offer parts for life after January 1st! So heres my question how much of a benefit is that? Do parts get replaced with each rebuild or only as needed? And if they get replaced about how much would it cost for the parts? Thanks

Parts are supposed to be replaced at every rebuild. If they are not it is not a rebuild. When a kit is provided all the parts in the kit are to be used. I can't speak to the price of scubapro kits.

Some service kits cost the manufacturer pennies for the components inside (OK, make it a dime). The packaging, labeling, and management cost more than the components. More expensive kits might be as high as a couple dollars. If someone claimed the xyz kit cost $5, I would be skeptical.

I was told that Scubapro will no longer offer parts for life after January 1st! So heres my question how much of a benefit is that? Do parts get replaced with each rebuild or only as needed? And if they get replaced about how much would it cost for the parts? Thanks

As I understood the explanation (from someone who works for Scubapro)... Anything purchased before Jan 1 will be covered (grandfathered). The new policy will be only for purchases made after Jan 1, 2012.

thanks for the replies guys! I agree with you Howard that is how my dealer explained it i am just trying to see if its worth the investment now!

Pretty interesting turn of events. I wonder how this will affect the pricing and availability of official Scubapro overhaul kits. Scubapro could potentially sell overhaul kits to all-comers at whatever price the market bears.

If Scubapro won't be absorbing the cost of overhaul kits for regs sold after Jan. 2012, down the road this will have revenue implications for the local dive shop that does the actual reg servicing. People won't be incentivized to schedule annual overhauls anymore. New Scubapro reg owners will probably adhere to an overhaul-as-needed servicing policy.

Other secondary effects:
  • This will probably affect the value proposition for people considering buying new vs. used Scubapro regs.
  • If Scubapro ends up saving money/capturing new revenue streams with this move, at some point the other big player in the reg market (Aqualung/Apeks) may adopt the same practice.

From an economic standpoint...
Winner: Scubapro
Losers: Local dive shops that do Scubapro reg servicing
Of course, due to the grandfather policy which maintains free-overhaul-parts-for-life for older Scubapro reg owners, the economic implications will be somewhat blunted at first until Scubapro regs sold after Jan. 2012 comprise a larger percentage of Scubapro regs out in the wild.

I suspect that the better shops will continue to offer free service parts to their customers who service annually just to keep the service business flowing. Plus, customers who want to maintain the lifetime warranty will still be motivated to keep paying their annual reg rental. We are probably talking about $10 worth of parts for an annual service if the dealers buy smartly. Of course, it may also reduce the actual number of parts replaced in an annual service. After all, why do filters and seats last 2 years in Aqualung regs but only one year in Scubapro regs?

Times are changing and some "norms" are being re-set.

I missed my annual by 2 weeks this year on my MK25/A700, its supposed to be done within 13 months I was 13 months and 2 weeks. My bad. However, when I look at my next regs (buying a couple for my sidemount rig and maybe a deco set soon) the 'free parts' wont factor in to my decision.

What will factor in is looking at a company that is scaling back its customer service.

Can I get my free parts for life all at once

Now?

I bet this has little to no impact. Most users don't dive enough to warrant annual service. The cost of parts is beans compared to the labor costs. I know folks that fail to get there service in time the first year. Others have there service done even if they did less than 10 dives over the past year. Annual parts may cost Scubapro some $$$ but I'm guessing they make it up elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom