gloves needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Visiting the Maldives for a few weeks this December and I've seen mentioned a few times that gloves are suggested when diving there, since there are times when you'll need to hold on to rock/dead coral in the current. Are regular 2mm dive gloves fine, or should something more robust be used, like the kevlar reinforced ones? I don't have gloves (haven't needed them previously), and need to maintain decent dexterity for camera controls, so am leaning towards regular dive gloves. But, if they'll be quickly shredded from use (or easily chomped through by the aggro eels), fumbling with (presumably thicker/stiffer) kevlar ones may have to do.

elasticised cotton work type
with rubberised palms and fingers

3 bucks

While sturdy and economical, those wouldn't be very good for camera controls.

Just for the sake of recommending something other than a dive glove, how about Mechanix gloves? Good dexterity, good protection, obviously won't provide much warmth but I don't think you'll need it. I like the Original Mechanix for its intended purpose, seems like it would make a good dive glove as well.

Visiting the Maldives for a few weeks this December and I've seen mentioned a few times that gloves are suggested when diving there, since there are times when you'll need to hold on to rock/dead coral in the current. Are regular 2mm dive gloves fine, or should something more robust be used, like the kevlar reinforced ones? I don't have gloves (haven't needed them previously), and need to maintain decent dexterity for camera controls, so am leaning towards regular dive gloves. But, if they'll be quickly shredded from use (or easily chomped through by the aggro eels), fumbling with (presumably thicker/stiffer) kevlar ones may have to do.
Please check with the operator if gloves are allowed!!!
Wear only one on the hand which is holding the camera.
Current can be pretty nasty in some places.
I remember the one on Banana Reef outside Male. Everyone was peeled off from the reef and scattered everywhere!

I second the "Gloves allowed" question.

When I worked at Rangali, we were not permitting gloves unless you had a doctor's cert. If the currents are that strong that you need to hold on to something- you should get a hook.

Here in the Maldives many operators don't allow gloves unless you have a valid reason to have them ( Medical reasons, your mom says so (kidding) etc.. :). So better check from yours.

Like above gentlemen said, if possible bring down a current hook. That should take-care of you.

Have fun

@sea

Did I say leather welding gloves with truck
tyre tread vulcanised to the palms and fingers?

P1010770.jpg

The other glove is taking the photo

Without the housing

but with the hand and a camera

Thanks all. Checked with the op, and they don't allow gloves, so that's that.

One/some of the recent threads (and even some op pages) mentioned having to crawl/climb over dead coral/rock in the currents, while watching out for aggressive eels on top of that, which got me a little concerned. Did pick up a reef hook in case a situation pops up for hanging around.

IMO it is a very rare situation which requires the diver to crawl either forward or up the reef but it can happen in serious down-currents- which again are very very rare. Strong outgoing currents should be dived with caution as the viz can be fairly arse, increasing the chances of separation, and in the channels the current often descends at the end of the dive requiring good local knowledge on when and where to start ascents. As a guide, I don't like these dives unless all divers are experienced and aware.

OTH many divers choose to hold on to reef to stop themselves from finning. I see this often on reefs in fairly minimal current where perhaps some grey reef sharks are cruising in front, or on manta cleaning stations. Diver trim in the water is really important on order to make way in current. As soon as your hips drop (often from carrying an extra kg on the belt), you present your chest to the current which lifts you up (like a plane taking off). Aim to stay low to the reef (about a foot off is good), lift your chin to look forward and fin efficiently- not mad flapping. Aim to be like this all the time so that when presented with making way in to current, you don't have to change your diving style.

DevonDiver has some excellent posts on his website about trim
Scuba Techniques - 10 Tips To Attain A Better Horizontal Hover -Scuba Tech Philippines

There are definitely some strong current situations from time to time in the Maldives but not everywhere. In the Ari Atoll, I have had some currents much stronger than I can swim against but as long as the dive plan is appropriate (ie. drift along a wall as opposed to diving on a thila or pinnacle) then the currents shouldn't pose a problem but instead be part of the fun.

Diving the kandus or channels is a different story as the main attractions are in the blue water and unless you can sit there to watch- you'll miss the main event. In those situations where the current is strong- use a hook. You shouldn't have to worry about eels at that stage as the reef is barren. Where the coral is still alive, yes the small black-cheek moray (Gymnothorax breedeni) loves fingers.

Back
Top Bottom