Which Spring Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freedro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking to get some Spring Straps for my Rocket Fin II's but not sure what to get. It's been suggested top keep it simple and get the XS scuba ones with the simple tubular webbing covering but I have also heard these can "Roll" off if you don't have a stop on the heel of your boot. I have also seen that the pull tab on the XS scuba ones seems to wander over to the side with time - i.e. doesn't stay centered.

The other style with the large rubber heel piece seem like they would be more comfortable and secure and I like the large pull loop but not sure if that becomes a snag hazard in normal swimming position.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Freedro

The XS scuba do wander, I have found that it has not been an issue while diving, the tention of the spring keeps them inplace.
I like the fact I can move it when I am wash my gear.

The rubber straps on my Jet Fins would usually slide around during the dive since my drysuit doesn't have a fin stopper. I replaced them with the Halcyon spring straps which are similar to the XS Scuba version and I have not had a single problem with them sliding around since.

I've had staps that look quite similar to the XS scuba staps and although they stayed on just fine while diving, they were constantly coming loose when not under tension. I just knew that one fine day the thing was going to pop off on my way up the boat ladder. Proably over 100' of murky water in the 1st hour of a 3-day trip.
They got binned.

In favor of these: adjustable spring staps for rubber fins, page is in English.
Spring strap for rubber fins | Ursuk

But if in the UK the Halycon staps are prob much easier to find and at least equally as good.
Where I live mine are cheaper & therein my choice.

I have the Halcyon straps and while they are very secure, the drawback for me is there is no pull tab so I struggle getting them on and off my boot. I'm curious to see if someone mentions an alternative that stays on and is easy to pull on/off.

I found that if the spring straps were really genuinely challenging to get off, they could be loosened nearly a full inch and would still stay on just fine.
That extra inch can make them pretty easy to get on and only slightly challenging to get off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom