Are there any "standard" tech dive profiles to compare computers/algorithms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
as per subject .... Are there any "standard" tech dive profiles to compare computers/algorithms?

More specifically, it seems that dive profiles used by Karl Huggins at the Catalina Chamber to generate datasets for ScubaLabs reports, are becoming the de-facto standard for testing recreational diving computers.

Is there something similar for the tech diving industry? A set of tech diving profiles /gas mixes - either individual dives or a series of dive?

I would like to get them to continue the fine tuning of our deco algorithm and add to it tech modes.

One more question: Tech divers "play" with GF factors and/or conservative settings to adjust algorithms to their needs. Would you be interested in being able to "play" (as in change) with the core parameters of the algorithms themselves (M-value, slope, half-time ....). Or is this a big NO-NO?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Alberto, is this just for the purposes of an e-class, or for diving? For diving, I do NOT want to play with the underlying assumptions of the model -- I want to choose a model that has some kind of track record for working. For educational purposes, it would be fascinating to play with all the variables and see what happens.

I'm not aware of any "standard profiles", although in my classes (which are low level tech) we have usually analyzed a 150 foot dive for 20', as that generates about a 55 minute run time, and allows the deco to be done on a single 40, which is generally the "typical" Tech 1 kind of dive.

..... is this just for the purposes of an e-class, or for diving? .....
mainly educational ... but you never know how people will use things ... that is why we have a big disclaimer in front of our simulators :no:

........ For educational purposes, it would be fascinating to play with all the variables and see what happens.....
That is the idea :wink:

..... in my classes (which are low level tech) we have usually analyzed a 150 foot dive for 20', as that generates about a 55 minute run time, and allows the deco to be done on a single 40....
What gasses? Air for bottom and O2 40% for deco?

What gasses? Air for bottom and O2 40% for deco?

Most likely 21/35 and 50% for deco.

Rather than fine tuning your deco algorithm, why not just provide standard Buhlmann GF or VPM? These two seem to be the most often quoted benchmarks, and are commonly seen on technical dive computers and software.

Last edited:
Well, GUE standard gases for that dive would be 21/35 and 50%. Some folks would do it with air and 100% (that's more of a straight Buhlmann approach).

There are a lot of different camps in technical diving . . . some people go to trimix immediately, some use light Nitrox mixes, some use air, and deco gases are argued about all day -- 80%, 100% . . .

100 feet to 130, 25/25, 100% deco; 130 to 150, 21/35, 50% for deco. GUE doesn't use 25/25; they use 30/30, which has a more limited depth range.

Standard tech profile... now there is an oxymoron.

The DIR camp has illustrated what I think is one of thier claims to fame standardised gas. Outside the DIR family all betts are off.

For development of standards I would use the agency broad sweeping standards based on cert level.
Typical breaks occur at:
single deco gas dives
two deco gas/ travel gas deco dives

Down to 150 a fairly standard BT is 30 minutes for training
Beyond 150 a fairly standard BT is 20 minutes for training
Beyond 220 is not really standard anything

Gas choices in my observation seems to be clustered around Instructor Trainers, they all have their favorite gasses and pass that to instructors they train and on down to students. These default gas choices are typically used by the instructors and students untill their minds or diving expand to a point where they can make their own choices as why to continue with said gas or make a change.

A typical profile for me would be 150fsw for 30minutes on 25/20 with 70% for deco. That yields a profile less than 60 minutes RT if a square profile is used.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom